ForumsWEPRLiberals, and Conservatives.

2 2279
XeroGeez
XeroGeez
90 posts
Nomad

How do you feel about those terms? It seems as though they have become more of an insulting adjective lately, unless their own party uses it. Well, I'd just like to know all of your opinions. :]

• 2 Replies
tanstaafl28
tanstaafl28
336 posts
Farmer

They've been used successfully in the U.S. to polarize and divide the people against one another. The use of "wedge issues" are employed to keep the voting public from ever uniting against the political leadership of the government.

Political strategists work very hard to blur the lines between party loyalty and loyalty to country, so that party comes first. People will generally align themselves with whichever party whose professed platform seems closest to their own sentiments.

I am a libertarian. I believe in small government, fiscal responsibility, individual freedom, and personal responsibility. As an independent, I am essentially locked out of voting in the primaries, because state and federal laws have established a two-party monopoly. In order to vote in primaries in most states, one has to be a dem or a rep, and in many states, voters can only vote candidates who are members of their registered party.

I believe we need to end the two-party monopoly so that the competition will force politicians to stop pandering for votes and actually keep more of their promises.

"A promise from a politician is like love from a prostitute." - Me

Ricador
Ricador
3,722 posts
Shepherd

Well i am Conservative.

The terms conservative and Liberal have been warped from the true meanings. Way back when Liberal did not mean "Idiots who are disillusional and obviously high", and conservative did not used to mean "wonderful people who know whats best and will fix this world and obviously go to heaven".

Example the college my sister is going to go to next year is a Liberal arts college. Now most people would associate that with meaning the teach everything on a Liberal (modern definition) basis. Like a school for democrat type people. But really what it means is that they teach in the traditional ways, and honor and teach what are founding fathers said and wrote in the constitution.

And also on a side not, the terms Democrat and Republican have switched over time.

Like back in the 1800's McCain would have been and awesome Democrat and Clinton a doofus Republican.

Showing 1-2 of 2