ForumsSupport ForumWe have what we need. All you need to do is use it!

8 2109
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

I have seen many suggestions like people having the power to vote certain comments away (to vote away spam), mini-mods, and many many more suggestions so that they may help armorgames become spam free. If you look at ArmorGames as a whole, then other websites, ArmorGames realy has very few problems with spam. Even with the few problems ArmorGames does have, you can still help clean out spam. All you need to do is use the tools you have. If those are not enough then you can always use your brain and teamwork.

The best way to help get rid of spam is to simply flag it. It is easy, it works much better than what it seems, and it does not produce any more spam or clutter the boards with "this is spam" posts.

Very rarely you will ever have moments where the tools you have are not enough alone. In fact, I can remember only one moment where flagging was not enough. Back then, there where still some glitches with the AG system that I am sure have been fixed by now. Using the tools I had, teamwork, and my brain; me and a few other members on this site have helped clean one of the worst spam incidents on this site that I have ever witnessed.

The story I am about to tell you is one I have told very few members. I had a buddy on this site who is more or less so "retired" from here. Do not ask, I won't tell. If you do know then please keep to yourself.

Some things in this story should realy not be told, so I shall not explain in full detail what happened. Please, if you know what happened or have an idea of what the details were do not post the details, some things are best left untold.

<-*-><-*-><-*-><-*-><-*->

Quite a while ago, when someone was banned, they had to sign out before the ban actually started. If you were logged in then you would still be able to post while banned untill you signed out (then when you signed back in, you would not be able to post). I am fairly sure this has been fixed by now.

Well before half of out mods were where they are at now, when they were regullar members, there was an incident that accured in the AG community.

Someone decided it would be funny and go to every single thread they could find and they decided to post rude pictures (I shall not get into detail, if anybody else knows about this incident please do not get into detail as well).

They attacked every thread they could find. Me and my friend was talking over AIM when this happened. We then reported the person and they were banned, sadly they decided not to sign out. Me and my friend noticed a pattern after a while. The spammer only posted in the most recent threads. This meant that he would only post within the top 5 or 6 threads, anything below them were untouched.

What me and my buddy decided to do was 2 things. We made sure that if any "clean" threads (those that the troll/spammer did not infect with crude pics) we immediately bumped the pics already infected back up to the top. Yes, we spammed, but we prevented the spread of the pics so instead of having 50 threads infected with some spam, we had 10 infected with a lot.

The second thing we did was make a list with a link to every single thread that was infected. We contacted one of the mods (sorry, I forgot which one) and we linked them the thread with all the links in it. After the troll finnally left, the mod used our thread to easilly find all the spam and delete it (well most of it). He deleted not only the crude pics, he deleted the spam me and my friend made (we did this to keep the clean threads near the bottom), and the thread with all the links I posted.

That is how you use your brain, and the tools you have. Time has passed and the mods have more power than ever. If such event happens again do not do what we did in the story. Things have been updated. Instead of making a thread with all the links to every infected thread, mods have the ability to instantly delete all of a user's posts at once (I beleive this happens when the acount is deleted, either way it is not necessary now to make all the links.)

Another thing is, instead of bumping the infected threads up just ignore the troll. If you do any posting, post things telling other users "This guy will be banned when a mod gets online. Do not post in the forums untill he is gone and all his posts are deleted. Thank you."

Flag the comments and play it cool. Do not panic! The last thing we would need is 50 threads with crude pics and 50 "zomg help threads.

Today, most of what me and my buddy did would have only caused more of a mess. It is much more easier to help the mods. This just goes to show you that if the tools you have do not work alone, add your brain into the equation and you can make them work... although most of those tools actually help A LOT more than what people give them credit for.

[b]Do not ask any questions about this story. I told you everything I will. Instead feel free to post what you do to help ArmorGames! Share examples of how you use what you have to keep ArmorGames fun, active, and clean.

Instead of trying to come up with new ways to clean out spam, just remember that we realy do not need any more new tools to clean it out. All we need is our brain. = )

• 8 Replies
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

Wow, great post. It really enlightened me

Flite
Flite
189 posts
Nomad

Wow, this thread really showed me how much a normal member can help clean this site. Very good job. : )

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

It took me a minute to read that. I'm sure it was hard writing it and I appreciate your work.

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

Well put NoName. You finally decided to get across all my pent up frustration in a simple post :P -- rather than flagging, people are coming up with some (more or less) ridiculous ways to combat spam.

Flag 'til you can't flag no more!

hellian00
hellian00
874 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I agree. And when people complain about AG having not enough mods for spam, just look at how much serious spam happens. There is almost never spam on the forums that needs immediate removal or locking.

But this will change. It always does.
NoNameC68
NoNameC68
5,043 posts
Shepherd

But this will change. It always does.

Even if it does, AG will addapt. If we need more mods then we will get more mods. Even if it does increase, what is important is that every member learns how to help properly. So many want to help, but so many also don't understand that they have more power than what they think. Even I didn't flag comments all that much and that was just dumb of me.
hellian00
hellian00
874 posts
Nomad

Yeah, but with fame comes more users. And with more users comes more spammers, and less regard for the rules. Eventually there is the possibility (if not permanent) that it may get out of hand.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Our system has definitely been updated since then, and banning does not work the same way. Now, as soon as someone is banned, it takes immediate effect, so that something like this does not happen.

Personally, I agree that the best way to deal with members such as that is to just ignore them completely. They are just doing it for attention, to cause a stir and start a riot. If you just don't respond, and report the matter with a moderator, we can actually get it fixed with minimal chaos.

And you really don't know how helpful the flag tool is. Not many people use it, but it helps us out a great deal. This is everyones tool to help get rid of spam, and make this site just a little bit better. So really, you do have the tools you need to help reduce spam. You just have to use them ;-)

Showing 1-8 of 8