ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHelp with Art

14 3712
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

I was looking at this forum today and especially at the GHX art battles and would really like to get involved. I have just got a new laptop and as far as i know i dont have any programmes for making artwork. I was wondering which programs people would recommend. (free ones would be nice)

• 14 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

You could get Gimp. It's a free program, related to (or possibly from) GNU.
It works pretty well for both drawing animating, and can probably be used for photo editing too.

Other programs are Photoshop, Photoshop Elements, Corel Painter, Krita, Paint Shop Pro and of course, the dreadful Microsoft Paint.
Several of those you need to pay for. I will recommend the Gimp if you want it for free.

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

ok thanks a lot

hamstaman
hamstaman
63 posts
Nomad

yea, zophia, gimp stands for GNU Image Manipulation Program, so id say its from GNU lol. i use it a lot, definately the best free one out there.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Ahhh, yeah, I knew I'd seen the GNU written all over the program, it's just been too long since I last had access to it. X3

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

One word of warning though- GIMP isn't particularly user-friendly. It takes a while to get used to the various layout of the commands.

I, for one, still have no idea what the locking in on the layers dialog does.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

If you lock a layer, you don't accidentally do something to it, like place a line on it while you thought you were doing it on another layer.

The Gimp does have a fairly constructive help-thingy, popping up with tips every time you open the program.
I found it a lot easier to learn to use than Photoshop.
And - I think - that word of warning goes for most image editing programs. You'll be completely lost in the many options when you start using it, but experience and possibly tutorials should get you on the right track soon enough.
The exception may be MS PAint, but everyone knows what quality you get from that...

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Btw which version of it should i download. It gives me plenty of options. I have the latest version of windows vista.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Just curious, did you figure it out, woody?

helloiambored
helloiambored
76 posts
Nomad

gimp is a offencive word :{

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

gimp is a offencive word :{

What, how??
helloiambored
helloiambored
76 posts
Nomad

my teacher told me it means retard

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

It is also a name of a suit that is quite disgusting...

There is also Paint.NET which is an ok program, but I find GIMP to be better...

I like GIMP because I can animate...

KingRyan

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

HARHAR omg kingryan, I can't believe you know what a gimp suit is. I rofl.

Gimp as used these days means a lot of things...from legless or missing legs to retard...GIMP the program is an acronym, however.

Anyway, how come I'm so off-topic...I blame you, kingryan!

So I'm not spamming: I find GIMP is perfectly adequate for all your image editing needs. Provided you know what you're doing and therefore don't have to use fancy plug-in scripts so you can remove those ghastly red-eyes or whatever.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Go to Wikipedia and find the disambiguation for gimp... That one related to the suit was a big surprise for me. X3

Anyway. Go GIMP! http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Mazzelh/Cute.gif
Still haven't figured out how to edit the frame delays in the .gifs, but what.

Showing 1-14 of 14