ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3147462
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,060 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Geez Parsat and Gab, thanks for making this judging tougher than emerald weapon times 5 >_>

Hahahahahaha!!
Still hung up on Ff7 uh?...I personnaly have more trouble with ruby, because I'm too lazy to gather 99 Dazers...
In any case, I know know what you mean, I've got a taste of judging for myself ^^.
Good luck Alt!

Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

alt: That epic music had better have a sick viola solo in it.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Gab, you could just W-summon and mime Hades and KOTR for the entire time, starting off with only one person alive so you get the tentacles at the beginning instead of losing two party members >_>

Also, I'm still on disk 1, near the end. just finished Temple of the Ancients.

Viola solo? check.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,816 posts
Peasant

Well, I know it's not the thread for this, but since it seems Alt always wound up talking about good ol'Ff7, let's talk about good ol'Ff7...Until judging that is.

Gab, you could just W-summon and mime Hades and KOTR for the entire time, starting off with only one person alive so you get the tentacles at the beginning instead of losing two party members >_>

Yeah, I'm this kind of harcore gamer who prefers to complicate things up a little bit when it's too easy. I don't like plaing like this, it's like playing pokemon and owning the elites with dragonite, salamence, mewtwo and so on...it's boring...

Also, I'm still on disk 1, near the end. just finished Temple of the Ancients.

So, what's your team?

Viola solo? check.

Just gave me an urge to go listen to my tribute to coldplay album by the vitamin string quartet.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Just switched from Cloud/Red/Aeris to Cloud/Barret/Cid . . . revving up for Ungarmax, Highwind, and Omnislash . . . .

Also, just reply on my profile. Dun want this to become the FF7 thread . . . .

I am listening to a variant on greensleeves right now. Awesome in every way, and of course Parsat, the viola part is great.

Cinna
Cinna
753 posts
Nomad

Wow you all are pretty awesome at this.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Strings purpose

Strings make instruments
Strings make details
strings on a guitar
strings on a violin

They make the world sound
they are hard
strong as the ground
whipped together
like all things,
they die

Strings show talent
strings make talent

Strings.

Strings are bones
they're strong
though they can break.

whimsyboy
whimsyboy
938 posts
Nomad

Are we allowed to submit several? If not, I just submit the first one.

My strings are tuned,
Ready to play,
My strings, marooned,
And there to stay.
My strings, on fire,
And then decay,
Can't find no buyer,
I'm here to stay.

Ain't got no money,
To spend on my strings,
They say my effort's funny,
But I'm no jester of kings.
I try to hide them away,
Fly away on my wings,
But still, here I stay,
With these darned awful strings.

Oh look, a person!
Coming towards me now,
Maybe they can help loosen
My strings and their sound.
Oh, Dosh garnit, they have passed,
No more people around,
This note'll be my last.

SirLegendary
SirLegendary
16,583 posts
Duke

Sweet poem man

whimsyboy
whimsyboy
938 posts
Nomad

I was kinda going for a rap-ballad. With a steady flow and whatnot.

Elitemagical
Elitemagical
1,208 posts
Nomad

Meh. Won't win this one. Never seen a real double bass besides on the TV but wrote about what I think one is like anyway:

Ready and synchronised,
Producing orchestral sounds,
Resonating and over-wound,
Medleys of heavenly tunes.

Long pliant cords,
Instruments shrewdly bowed,
And the ensemble renowned,
Accompanied by their double bass.

1,855 posts
Nomad

You should do one about tempers or something. Strings is a hard one.

vinster132
vinster132
5,881 posts
Jester

201, you can't change the theme right now. Since it's already Strings. Just wait until Strings is judged and then, Alt can give you the next theme....

whimsyboy
whimsyboy
938 posts
Nomad

Yeah, he's supposed to judge Strings tomorrow. So just wait 24 hours or so and it'll be done

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

No, the deadline is tomorrow or Firday. I usually do the judging on the Saturday after the deadline, which is Friday.

And 201, strings is the theme because it's supposed to make people think. I'd say we had good enough with results, because Fallen and Parsat submitted two of the best poems I've ever seen in this contest.

Showing 2236-2250 of 3868