Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Periodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

Thread Locked

Posted Jul 25, '12 at 12:50am

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,304 posts

Well, if you truly believe my judging skills are not good enough for this contest, I will kindly step down and allow someone more qualified to replace me. I can see why an untalented stranger like myself judging this contest would make some of the more experienced contestants uncomfortable. I took the position to help the contest get back on its feet, but it appears I've sparked even more controversy by doing so!

Sorry for the inconvenience I've caused. As of now, I am no longer affiliated with this contest.

Posted Jul 25, '12 at 8:29am

EnterOrion

EnterOrion

4,390 posts

Sorry for the inconvenience I've caused. As of now, I am no longer affiliated with this contest.

Bah, rather than doing that, how about you enter a piece every once in a while? That's much more constructive. It's the contestants that make a contest, not a judge.

I feel like picking up a gavel for the first time in ages, at least for a round. Anyone disagree or agree?

Posted Jul 25, '12 at 12:36pm

nichodemus

nichodemus

13,239 posts

Knight

Just let Skele finish this round. He set the topic after all.

Posted Jul 25, '12 at 3:26pm

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,417 posts

Oreo, if you're willing to do an in-depth crit, I'm all for you. :P

Posted Jul 25, '12 at 10:49pm

daleks

daleks

3,651 posts

Gaaaaaaaaaaaa. This thread is making me made because no offense you are all being idiots.

First let's start with you Moon. You are shooting to high. Yes there were great judges in the past. They are either not active now or not active enough or don't really give a crap about the contest anymore. And let's assume for a second that these people were still around or still cared. One day they would fall dead and we would be where we are now. If no new person is judging how do you expect other people to get good at judging? O wait, they will not. So chill Moon. Let Skeleton judge longer. I have seen a lot worse judging in the past. And maybe will more time Skeleton gets better.

Now for you people trying to find a good way to judge. No one will be around forever. What we need is a judge that knows when he will want to stop. He/she can then choose a new judge after having time to think it over and maybe even give some tips on how to do some good judging.

At Skeleton now. Your judging isn't the best but I have seen worse. Maybe we do need praise for people that do post in here and you seem to be supplying that. You could though maybe try and write more about the flow and style and what you liked and didn't like. People need to give you time though. Maybe look what the people that Moon likes did.

So for the judging. Let Skeleton judge this round. I think he is a reliable judge that could be improved on. If you guys really hate him though you can let Sal try. I would say Oreo too but he doesn't seem to be wanting to do it for awhile.

Posted Jul 26, '12 at 12:34am

GhostOfMatrix

GhostOfMatrix

15,472 posts

Knight

It's not stupid to want more in-depth judging, but the people complaining aren't doing much good. If it's that important then set up a list and change every round/few rounds. People have lives, so you can't rely on Wolf to judge it forever, or anyone else. You also can't get some random person nobody has heard of to take it up.
Wolf, Nicho, Orion, Moon, and Tacky. You each have a lot of experience in the AMW, would it be so hard to rotate each round? If you have time to post here it shouldn't be that difficult to judge.

Posted Jul 26, '12 at 1:09am

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,417 posts

Wolf, Nicho, Orion, Moon, and Tacky. You each have a lot of experience in the AMW, would it be so hard to rotate each round? If you have time to post here it shouldn't be that difficult to judge.

I'm up for that. It isn't my first time judging poetry contests, and the rest are amazing at what they do.

@ Daleks, you know I love you dearly, even though you are my enemy, but I would rather shoot high and get somewhere good, than settle for second best. Instead of balling up this thread and shooting it into the can, why not try to salvage it? I've already spoken with Skeleton via profiles about this. :P If you want the merit to return to this place, you're gonna to make it worth it.

Hmm. Maybe. Just maybe. If we all settled on a judging rotation, Skeleton could join in still. As a judge. Maybe from seeing the others judge, he can gain more experience without it having to be first-hand. Ya'know?

Posted Jul 26, '12 at 9:43am

daleks

daleks

3,651 posts

even though you are my enemy

Were enemies? When did that happen?
Maybe from seeing the others judge, he can gain more experience without it having to be first-hand. Ya'know?

Ya, that is pretty much what I said for part of it. Still just let Skeleton finish this round.

Posted Jul 26, '12 at 1:07pm

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,557 posts

Ya, that is pretty much what I said for part of it. Still just let Skeleton finish this round.

This was never in question, so I am not sure where people got the idea that the world is trying to violently overthrow Skeleton immediately. It's more of a subtle sabbotage minus delicious bacon.

This lends into my suggestion of cycling judges...so no, that is not difficult.

Posted Jul 26, '12 at 6:06pm

XVERB

XVERB

3,203 posts

Wow. I haven't been here in.. probably over a year. It seems to be in shambles. Well when you guys sort this out. Have a judge, theme, due date, and are accepting work, I'll have a look at it.