Forums

ForumsArt, Music, and Writing

Periodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

Thread Locked

Posted Jul 30, '12 at 3:04pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I liked the judging this time. It's better to include positives and negatives. I loves the detail you put into it, and quoting parts of the entries was fantastic. You could still try and exhaust every aspect of each poem though. It sounds hard, but by doing so the writer will completely know what he or she did right and what he or she did wrong. In all respect, I wouldn't be surprised if you read Xzeno's huge post on acceptable critiquing in the AMW forum, which is something that a lot of people could learn from. It solved my biggest issue with your judging, which was nearly all positives. I know you were trying to be nice, but, frankly, it's nicer if you give feedback on what could be improved upon! All in all, much better. Keep it up!

I've seen wolf1991 judge in the past and I'm all for it. However, I don't want to see a huge cycle of judges. I'm more comfortable with a cycle of 3 judges, and after 3 rounds for each judge the cycle would switch to 3 other judges and recursion. I haven't been able to make any submissions yet, but I'm writing one for the current topic.

Posted Jul 30, '12 at 4:05pm

CheapCheep

CheapCheep

170 posts

Even though I'm not going to be judging this next round, I'm going to at least start things off by choosing The Solar System as the next theme and setting the deadline to Wednesday, August 8 unless there are any objections...

The Solar System...

FUDGE.

The Solar System

Planets spin around me
Stuck in a repeating cycle
Everything the same as the year before
Yet everything, so diffrent.

All the planets have diffrent traits
Just like you and me
Everything in space
Is so diffrent

Yes I did a free-verse. I dont want to sit here for hours thinking of a word that rhymes with "galaxy" or "Mars". And again, I really didn't try sad to say. Im going through a writers block that I just cant get out of quite yet.

:p And I'm bored OUTTA MY MIND.

School starts again soon...

FUDGE.

Posted Jul 30, '12 at 5:14pm

MoonFairy

MoonFairy

3,221 posts

I'm all for Wolfie taking this one.

Sal, who all do you think should take it, if only 3?

Skeleton, that was marvelous. Learning more already :D

I guess I'll contact the others. Nicho, Tacky, Wolf, Oreo and moi. We'll figure something or another out, unless Sal has a better idea?

Sadly I think Tacky is too busy living, and I dunno if Nicho is alive :< But we shall sort this! :D

Posted Jul 30, '12 at 5:50pm

Salvidian

Salvidian

3,950 posts

I'm indifferent on who judges. You have Nicho, Tacky, Wolf, Oreo, and, er, you as referred to as "moi" listed. Nichodemus has been using his phone to visit the forums so I don't think he'd be willing to make huge, detailed reviews. I haven't seen Tacky much, and I hardly know her whatsoever. Couldn't really say. Wolf is up, so that's 1 for sure. I think Orion said he'd be willing to judge, but, probably because of me, I solemn know what he's talking about. Probably 2 there. With you, that makes 3, so 1 full cycle is achievable.

I don't know, maybe after each of you judges 3 times, we could see if Nicho and Tacky are up for judging, and Skele could fill up that last spot. I think it would be better if the cycles were made up of smaller groups, so people could have longer breaks.

Posted Jul 30, '12 at 11:35pm

Skeleton_Pilot

Skeleton_Pilot

1,290 posts

I guess it was all just a matter of knowing what I was supposed to do as a judge... now that I know how to do it properly, I'll be glad to step in if and when I'm needed. =)

HOW IN THE HECK DID I GET 3RD PLACE! THAT WAS THE WORST POEM I HAD EVER WRITTEN!!

Need I remind you that only three entries actually qualified for placement this round? Technically you also got last place, but I don't see it that way... =)

Posted Jul 31, '12 at 3:53am

wolf1991

wolf1991

3,061 posts

I agree that the number of judges should be limitted to 3-4, furthermore I suggest a two round rotation instead. Three rounds is simply too long in my mind, especially since I will be returning to university in Septemeber, as such two rounds is far more managable.

Posted Jul 31, '12 at 11:58am

nichodemus

nichodemus

11,872 posts

Knight

Nonsense, I typed out my literature essay on my phone before; I just dot feel like doing it for now.

Anyway yes, good job Skele.

Posted Aug 2, '12 at 2:41pm

MrDavidX96

MrDavidX96

10 posts

solar system... ima gonna sit this one out. cant think of any un-cliched material to write about

Posted Aug 3, '12 at 4:59am

DrElmer

DrElmer

450 posts

We've no restraints on
The space-time continuum,
And yet we sit here,
Limited, for now, by Mars.
And Jupiter. And ourselves.

Posted Aug 4, '12 at 4:18am

MrDavidX96

MrDavidX96

10 posts

skrew, im gonna rip off/refrence a bunch of far more talented people than me on this

in order from our sun
The one who warms a summer's day,
for which was compare
to a lady fair ,
Is the planet mercury
who sends letters to roman gods.

Next is paralandra
also known as Venus.
this planet's hot
and for that's not
because it's name is Aphrodite.
mostly its just because the temp is o're 800.

and third is planet earth
Silent, and mostly harmless.
that's really all that can be said
about something who's inhabitants
want her Dead
by all obvious appearance.

next in line is Bloody Mars
the taking place of Rekal.
the movie wasn't bad, but i swear i will never get that three tit chick out of my head as long as ever i may live.

Moving on is massive Jupiter.
the writhing gaseous mass.
it puts out more than it gets
of heat and light from old Apollo.

sixth we find Saturn.
rings with rime encrusted.
though it's still unsure as to what
has frozen in  their trusses.

next in line is Uranus
and really all that i can say
is that it gets in the way
cuz i want to speak of Neptune.

deity of the sea, with trident firm in hand.
Neptune is a bluish form
that sits tween'st seven and pluto.

And last is pseudo planet pluto
a glory for alliterations.
one thing that can be said about it
is that it can be discerned.
that on its shores you are,
when e're you feel it's distinctive bark
and then you know
that "we on pluto!"

i did it for humor and less for beuty. cudos to those who get all the refrences and i hope i chart this time. i expect i'll be the only one to use this tongue in cheek method, but then mine refrences so much that it's no longer origonal, and it's not particularly well written. oh well i still hope i win.