ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3868 3206355
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,058 posts
Blacksmith

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,868 Replies
wajor59
wajor59
909 posts
Nomad

Wow, I certainly don't mind losing to this crowd! Wolf, I was close to dropping a tear...
FallenSky, I'm just speechless. Parsat didn't fudge either even though he could've taken this time off. MoonFairy, You have nothing to fear 'cause your's is just as heart felt and pulsing as Hecterhermit's which if I was to criticise you, Moon, it would be for the Mwahahaha at the very end.
Zaork's, Legend_beast's are both near perfect but my personal favorite is
2014631's getting shot, poem! That one had me sitting on the edge of my desk chair. Bravo, 2014631!
Second best is Coldplaya's rappin' drum fest at the game, poem!

I wish all of you the best of luck and I'm sooooo glad I ain't Alt!

ps if I have forgotten anyone, please forgive me and post me on my about.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

i forgot what mine is lol
All i know is there is a beep.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Oh wow. Mine was really short. o.o It abruptly ended. -.-
Well. Alt is probably gonna take forever to judge.... LIKE ALWAYS!
And what is up with the double submissions? Geez.

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,815 posts
Peasant

Well, as in every contest, we're allowed to produce as much pieces of work as desired, given that we select only one to be judge. Personnaly, it's all the crew here that spurred me to do better, and I think I've scared Wolf into perfecting his own.
Thanks to wajor, zoark and wolf for the criticism, it made me rush right back here to work some more ^^.

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

Oooooooh, this is getting interesting. It's reminding me of when every contest was an epic battle between Nicho and I

I'm actually glad we have so many good entries, because it's easier to decide the places of a bunch of fantastic poems with a few similarities than between two fantastic poems that are polar opposites.

Anyway, because there're so many good entries being sent in, I'm removing the deadline for this week. You can submit up until I give the notification that the judging is coming.

Also, sorry if I have any typos. I'm on my little sister's laptop, because the power supply for mine committed harikari, and I must get a new one sent in from the ominous Lenovo Customer Support. I'll make sure to get the judging in on time, but there may be a few typos, because she only has internet explorer. No spellcheck D:

FallenSky
FallenSky
1,815 posts
Peasant

As Alt would say, only the epic battle music's missing. I'm eager to see the results ^^.

MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

I'm afraid to see the results. I liked it when the thread was less popular. I actually had a chance at first place lol.
But I like writing poetry nonetheless. So I guess it is a good thing that there are alot of entries.

1,855 posts
Nomad

but my personal favorite is
2014631's getting shot, poem! That one had me sitting on the edge of my desk chair. Bravo, 2014631!

MWHAHAHAHAHAAH! YEAH! All right! Yes! lol. Sorry about that, i had a little victory dance that someone actually enjoyed my poem xD

I gotta say, if I had to place a vote, I think wolf is going to win, for obvious reasons. I think I still might have a shot though... hopefully xP
Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

alt: Those were some fun times...I miss Nicho. That man's rhymes were tight.

(puts on poetry critic hat)

We've definitely got some stiff competition here. Free verse judging is particularly arduous from a judge's perspective because there's no real guideline as to how it should be read. My remarks on a bunch of standouts:

2014631's poem really nailed a dramatic tension that was pretty reminiscent of Nicho's style.

wolf1991 opted for a very humdrum style that reminded me of T.S. Eliot's Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock: curiously disjointed, yet powerfully demonstrating an overall theme.

wajor59 demonstrated an example of concrete poetry, which is not often seen here because AG's forum formatting is spotty at best. A few oddities sticking around, but overall a kindhearted poem.

Relative newcomer Zaork demonstrated a strong use of diction, with a style that seemed to pulse grotesquely as the horrors he depicts.

LEGEND_beast speaks from the heart in his poem; what may be lacking in stylistic form is made up for in the emotion that you can feel reading it.

1,855 posts
Nomad

2014631's poem really nailed a dramatic tension that was pretty reminiscent of Nicho's style.

YEAHAHA! I don't even know who Nicho is, but I think that's a compliment! XD
Jeez this is freaking nerve racking. I don't know if I have a chance xP
MoonFairy
MoonFairy
3,390 posts
Shepherd

Well fudge I got no compliment D:
I might redo mine. Who knows. Maybe later?
Should I use a persons actual pulse... or the pulse of nature... hmmm.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

wolf1991 opted for a very humdrum style that reminded me of T.S. Eliot's Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock: curiously disjointed, yet powerfully demonstrating an overall theme

I love T.S Eliot, and The Love Song of J. Alfred Prufrock is one of my favourites. Woo! Personal favourite is The Hollow Men
FallenSky
FallenSky
1,815 posts
Peasant

No critic for me...then how am I going to get better at it? Ah, I guess genuine genius is always ignored at first! Hmm, now, seriously, I don't think I have a chance this time around. Wolf kicked it up yet again, and I'm no match for him ^^.

wolf1991
wolf1991
3,440 posts
Farmer

I dunno, I'm a pretty big fan of what you've written. I like how you even set the way the poem is shaped to fit with the meaning behind it.

1,855 posts
Nomad

Wolf, your poem was VERY good. I was very into it the entire time. I liked it a lot.

Showing 2296-2310 of 3868