ForumsArt, Music, and WritingPeriodic Poetry Contest - Theme: Touch of Truth (Page 390, due Jan. 28)

3892 1429604
DragonMistress
DragonMistress
1,090 posts

First, I will post the overall rules, and then I will post the specifics about this week.

Original rules, as stated by Ubertuna:

It must fit the week's theme.
It must be submitted by the deadline.
It cannot have inappropriate language in it.
It cannot be stolen (if you plagiarize, we will find you).

Also:

The poem must be created for this contest
A user cannot win two weeks in a row (though everyone is welcome to submit every week!)
Only one submission per user will be accepted

As we all know, the winner will recieve a merit, and their poem will be featured on the _Poetry_ page.

OK, on to this week's topic...Again, we are having a style instead of a theme. Also, this week we are having TWO WEEKS to do it, instead of the usual one. Why? Because this will be an EPIC poem. Or, rather, a parody of an epic poem. Generally, epic poetry is very long, and tells the serious story of a heroic figure. Well, this week, the epic figure is YOU! Write a long poem (I'll leave the definition of 'long' up to you, but give it a good go) about the heroic story of you! It can be silly, serious, whatever... just have fun with it. You have two weeks, so have a great time!
  • 3,892 Replies
mvpguy22
mvpguy22
313 posts

Congratulations to all the winners, and I hope you feel better DragonMistress.

I have a couple ideas for possible themes:
Siblings
Outer Space
Amusemant Park
An Achievement (like a person conquering a fear, learning to ride a bike, etc.)
Couplet: two lines that rhyme
Two authors: Two people write a poem together and submit as partners.

Just a couple ideas, trying to go outside the box.

Gantic
Gantic
11,752 posts

Sep 22, '08 at 3:00pm, adrecka_33 wrote:
What about doing a topic on 'Life' how we view it, how it should be viewed, it is a very open topic....

I think that's pretty much the entire fabric of possibilities. It can be woven into any topic and probably is. Anything can threaded in between the interstices in the letters of every word. The way words and ideas are brought together in the context of life is seamless, but maybe we are only aware that they touch upon the hem of our many experiences. Of course, we are free to embroider them, but on such an open loom, life dyes our threads as they are woven, producing the our pattern so is that not the topic in and of itself? After all, we write it as we see it.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,901 posts

So what's the next topic?
I'm waiting...
I hope it's one that suits me. :P

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
305 posts

Gantic, What you said up there. That is a poem in itself, i think you'd do very good on that topic....

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
305 posts

I like the topic "servival" what it takes to servive in this world? idk i am just throwing out random topics...

necromancer
necromancer
750 posts

Sonnet

Sonnets and Villanelles are the epitome of evil poetry (when you have to write them yourself)

How about a broad universal human theme?

-Betrayal
-Regret
-Love lost
-Justice
-Exhilaration
-Ecstasy
-Forlornness
-Rejection
-Courage
-Hope
-Loneliness
-Innovation
-Chaos
-Order
-Utopia
-Dystopia
-Insanity
-Neglect

And because these would be easier to copy, threaten stiffer retribution for doing so.
Drace
Drace
3,903 posts

Topic - Greed!
A nice and quite expressive topic?

mvpguy22
mvpguy22
313 posts

I liked the idea of Utopia and Dystopia by Necromancer...I think it would be interesting.

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
305 posts

Greeds good i ike that topic i think we would see a lot of different view points on that...but i do not think it would be easy

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
305 posts

mvpguy posted:
Utopia and Dystopia
Sorry but what does that mean??

shayneii
shayneii
2,565 posts

Maybe a romance topic would be nice!

Shark7996
Shark7996
377 posts

@adrecka_33:

Utopia means it's about a perfect world.
I'm pretty sure dystopia means the opposite, a chaotic world.

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
305 posts

Thanks Shark7996

lytnin
lytnin
50 posts

hah! i knew adrecka would win!
lol!
anyway, i like the idea of a limerick, but i also like the idea of how we view life, i already have ideas brewing up for them!, we just need to wait for dragon mistress lol

for my idea we could do something chaotic (sorry i like chaos lol)
maybe a medival battle.. hehe

CommanderC
CommanderC
121 posts

I honestly don't like to speculate about the next topic. I prefer the challenge of writing about a topic I really haven't been thinking about.

Showing 106-120 of 3892