ForumsProgramming ForumI'm a Cheapskate Programmer

6 3567
IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

Hello all,

I have been working with VB.Net 2005 for several years now, and some other programming languages before that. I have also looked into and learned some other programming tools and languages such as Java, Perl, JavaScript, ASP.NET, and Blender 3D, but usually, I use VB.net for most of my work.

The great thing about my past work was that I did not have to pay anything to develop in those languages.

However, I would like to start programming flash applications and games, but for that I need to pay $700 for Adobe Flash CS3. (Yikes!)

I would really like to use flash for many projects, however, I have never made any money on any of my developed applications, and I have a very limited income otherwise.

Is there any way to get funding, sponsorship, or get a part time job in programming flash in order to help pay for the programming language? I don't plan on charging anyone for my flash programs, so it's not like Adobe's software will be used for making other people richer. I would understand the hefty fee if I was making money, though. :-\\

The only money I need is for the development software. Is there any good way to go about this?

(I'm not too proud to plead on my hands and knees in front of Adobe's head office)

• 6 Replies
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

um actually you can get sponsored by any gaming website like AG,and get a profit from it.It's actually used as a professional job nowadays,so they realize that its necessary.Plus it has another $150 program built into it.So yeah if you have any real income though,then you could try and rework a budget and save up for it.After that you could get your money back with sponsors.

lil_gangsta72
lil_gangsta72
375 posts
Nomad

yeah you can easily get sponsered by some gaming sites

SeoMX
SeoMX
89 posts
Nomad

you can use the API of various game pages, also you can get a really good deal here in Armor Games!!

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

So would I then ask sponsors for help after I create the game/program or do I give them a proposal?

Do they choose to sponsor all upcoming games for a set price, or do you have to ask each time you create a new game?

Where would I go on information on getting sponsored by a company (most likely Armor Games)?

Also, if I end up buying Adobe Flash, can I install it both on my laptop and my faster home computer, or is it tied with one product key to a specific machine?

BTW. Thanks for the fast replies. :-)

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

Here

http://armorgames.com/page/sponsorship

I'm trying to get sponsored too, just ordered Flash CS3 and I'm also curious about instaling in two machines

Wish you good luck

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

Thanks for the link, and ... OMG!!

By letting Armor Games sponsor your game you get the following.
1) A lot of money. Typically prices range from $1,500 to $7,000 (But we are willing to pay more for higher quality games)
http://www.chipmunk-scripts.com/smiley/shockedsmiley.jpg

I was expecting $30 for a really good game that I had worked hours on. They can't be serious. I can work on one game a month and never have to do any other work another day in my life.

Why did no one tell me of this before? I was going to sell VB apps to schools for 19.99 a program...

So can you basically create any program, or are there certain standards I need to adhere to? It's obvious that it should not contain obscenity or anything. I mean such as only using certain libraries or something. Is there any more detailed information?
Showing 1-6 of 6