ForumsSupport ForumBulk.

22 4068
dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

Heres an idea, what if you could send bulk mail? Like, click a buttom that sends a message to everybody in AG? Only you wouldnt get points for every one. or you could just pick people off a checklist, and send your message to them!
Pros:
It would make it easier for mods or admins to send a message to everybody, about a new update or rule.
It would make it easier for people to send ,essages to their clubs, instead of having to send them individually.
If someone has an important message, such as a new club, or an ARMORWIKI THEY MADE *wink wink*

Cons:
It would make spam easier, but at the same time, thered be no reason to spam because you dont get points.
People could abuse it, a problem easily solved by limiting it to one a day or so forth.
People could advertise. This is the only MAJOR drawback, but still, advertising isnt that horrible, right?

Also, under control panel, you could mark a box if you dont want these.
For customization, you could send a message to only people with wiis, steamTD, 360s, etc. And you could simply check off a box saying if you have one or not.

Overall, I think this is a good idea. The pros far outweigh the cons, especially in terms of mod messages.
And, like i said, you could make it so you get little points for it...

• 22 Replies
InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

It's an interesting idea and for some reason, I get the feeling many people don't read the front page (news section) of the website. A moderator or admin sending a mass..

Wait, hold on.

The mods/admin already have our email addresses -- it's what we used when we signed up. If there was an important message (REALLY IMPORTANT) I'm sure they would send a mass email, but other than that, everything's posted on the front page and I'm pretty sure it's the users responsibility to check it out.

The bulk email power given to users is a different story, it would be interesting. It would certainly scrap the "Club Forum" idea. It's a bit complicated though, isn't it? Along with the fact there are some privacy issues involved as well. For example, say someone joins a club and tells the club leader, "yo, here's my addy" but then the person quits -- the club leader still has the potential to send crap to that user. My other concern is someone hacking the system and gaining access to ALL the email addresses available, unless there's a program where you opt to be involved in 'bulk emails'.

I do like the idea of Private Messages (or PM's for short). There found on other major forums and I think it would make life somewhat easier. You can send a PM without the entire world knowing, but then again, a user you don't know (a newbie) might be walking on the wild side and send some crap you don't need.

But I think that's the biggest risk in all of this.

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

We're not talking about bulk email, we're talking about bulk COMMENTS. But, you could opt out of them.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

This is sort of what the forums are for. Announcements that you want many people to see. I think that if we had mass email sendings like that, people would take advantage of it, and emails would be sent out left and right. Personally, I would not want to be getting emails on my account all the time.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Carlie is right then why else would forums are created.

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

Im not talking about emails, we're talking about profile comments. And, topics in the forums can be lost in the back.

KingCheetah
KingCheetah
270 posts
Nomad

i think thats a bad idea

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

Well, like i said, once a day bulk would keep it from abused too much.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Im not talking about emails, we're talking about profile comments. And, topics in the forums can be lost in the back.

I dunno, I just think that this would get abused. Not everyone here knows how to use the tools responsibly.
305ganster
305ganster
22 posts
Nomad

I personnaly think thats a good idea... especially like he said, for mods to send mass messages, and for clan members to send messages to their clans. yea im up with it.

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

If there's any problems people have with it, im sure I can find a way to fix the problem.

Flite
Flite
189 posts
Nomad

If I am not mistaken, spam started out with emails. People considered junk mail or mail sent to random users as spam. This idea is not too much different and though this tool could be helpfull, I am sure most people would abuse it.

Do you know how many people will end up posting "Help Bunny Take Over Teh Worldz"? I could not imagine such a mess. x.x

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

And maybe bulk mail may bring bulks of spam as well.The possibilities are endless

dirkpitt1
dirkpitt1
1,281 posts
Nomad

Maybe we could have moderators review the message before it goes out...

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Do you know how many people will end up posting "Help Bunny Take Over Teh Worldz"? I could not imagine such a mess. x.x

Haha yea, exactly what I was thinking.

Maybe we could have moderators review the message before it goes out...

Definitely no. Moderators already do a lot on this site, we already have to worry about pages and pages of spam on profiles and games. Adding another thing to it, when spam is already in seemingly insurmountable numbers, just does not make sense. We want mods to retain sanity =)
InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

dirkpitt, your idea is good -- but like Carlie has stated, there's a lot of people on the website that just don't understand how to use tools properly. I mean, if you look at what happened with referrals, the idea was scrapped as soon as it was found out people were abusing the system.

Even if bulk comments were sent out ONCE a day there's a big chance people will take the opportunity to send crap out. I for one don't wish to help the stupid bunny take over the world nor read about its capers!

It's difficult to remedy spam, then people complain spam and they don't understand the concept of the "FLAG" button. It's really wishy-washy.

Showing 1-15 of 22