ForumsProgramming ForumI am curious about lerning flash...

16 5241
skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Well, i was just kinda thinking about flash, and game makeing and stuff, i know it would take me a few years to be good enough to make a game but you know. I was just wondering if any one would know were to download AS3 and if its best to buy a book on it, use online tutorials, or just fidel with it. And also, how could you get a book on learning HTML?

• 16 Replies
gman1000
gman1000
978 posts
Nomad

First off, AS3 costs a whopping $700! Do you really want to spend that?

Personally, I find it best just to fiddle with things. Guides and books don't help me with most things. But, of course, people have different learning styles, so you will have to find what works best for you.

Lastly, what kind of games would you want to go in to?

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Just simple games, maybe some small platformers, or some cool music games, nothing big. Adn it really cost that much to download?!?!?!

jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

Flash Cs3 Professional costs $700 to download. But you can download a trial version of flash for a month at the adobe website for free.

gman1000
gman1000
978 posts
Nomad

The trial version is not enough time to test it out and figure it out, much less make anything. You can still try it though.

zerato5
zerato5
343 posts
Nomad

anything like maybe $50

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

Gota watch where you get your facts around here...

AS3 is FREE. You can download the IDE on Adobe. It's called Flex and will compile AS3 scripts. Flash is $700, but if you're a student you can get it for $300(ish). It's harder to learn with the IDE as it's all straight up OOP. But if you want to play some with the syntax first, it will work pretty well.

gman1000
gman1000
978 posts
Nomad

Oh, I thought he was referring to flash... I think he was...

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Ok, thanks guys. i will need to get a faster computer and a faster conection first. I am gonna look into this stuff however. There is a class on codeing and HTML in highschool, and I am definatly gonna look into it.

kibblesand123
kibblesand123
423 posts
Nomad

man, things like that should be FREE

or at least $20

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

You should get an illegal version, that's what trials are suposed to be, you shouldn't have to pay $700 do find out if you want to work with flash or not

After you decide, go and buy it, since you can't use an illegal version for publishing your games anyway

I bought mine last friday, it took me three months to decide

noobgai
noobgai
12 posts
Nomad

I'm using a free flash 8 pro version and it works fine :/

helloiambored
helloiambored
76 posts
Nomad

lol i would spend $10000 just on a trail lol as long as it makes me make games like coolionaito yeh man he rocks

gman1000
gman1000
978 posts
Nomad

If you want something cheap* but not as great as Flash 2, you SwishMax 2. You can make games, and it is a lot cheaper. You can also make websites and movies with it.

*It is $150. This is cheap for good flash.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

first off it doesn't take years to learn how to make decent games,but maybe about one year to get really good at it.I could be wrong though.Also yeah swishminimax2 will only cost $100 but is currently selling for $67 as a promo for its release.So you could check that out.

skater_kid_who_pwns
skater_kid_who_pwns
4,376 posts
Blacksmith

Well, I am waiting till high school. So if A mod could lock this please....

Showing 1-15 of 16