ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4312689
Carlie
Carlie
6,823 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
Wigginometry
Wigginometry
689 posts
Nomad

[quote]I got four hours of sleep last night

Same here. Stupid caffeine.[/quote]

I know how you both feel, I got 0 sleep last night. My sleeping pattern has been so far off lately that I had to go with no sleep to get it back on track.
Ogt2
Ogt2
288 posts
Peasant

Can't wait for the judgement too. Yay!

Lol omg! Thursday I don't have school, Friday neither (four day week-end XD)

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Because taking critique on something that is finished and over with is so much fun, especially when there is no file to adjust, nothing...

*sigh* Critique is to be taken for the Next time. It's a great pic cen :P just cuz there's something that could be improved for something you wanted, doesn't mean that it's a terrible pic.

anyways, I can't wait for Zophia to judge.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

@Thoad:
I like the picture. I was proud of it. Yes, actually proud.
Then it was criticized. First crack in pride. Thus I must correct it, even though it is going against what I had in mind.
And it keeps on until I hate the picture so much that I would rather throw myself off the stairs than ever see or hear about it again...

thisisnotanalt
thisisnotanalt
9,824 posts
Shepherd

You'll eventually get used to four hours of sleep Zoph. . .don't worry. . .I've been geting from three to six hours of slep for the last two years. Usually around 4 or 5.

phsycomonkey
phsycomonkey
789 posts
Nomad

are tey gonna judge? or not?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

They??
Zophia is currently... Busy with something else, she will judge... eventually.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

you know I get the feeling at this rate that the competition will start to get judged on Tuesdays every week after a while at this rate. Anyways I guess it doesn't really matter to me too much this time, though I wish I knew a popular image file type that could somehow retain quality of my image and somehow take down the file size to 3 times lower then that of a .png file.....yeah like that will happen anytime soon. If you think that image of mine that I submitted on page 482 seems small though, then it is because it is a 3 MB image file, and Photobucket only allows you to upload things that are 1 MB or smaller before they resize them to fit the appropriate size to where it would only be 1 MB(smaller image =
smaller file size).....I don't know why I am pointing this out now, but I just felt like it.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I don't know why I am pointing this out now, but I just felt like it.

We feel with you... It is rather annoying, but since you have photoshop, can you not just put the quality on the highest, and use jpg?
WackWeeper
WackWeeper
198 posts
Nomad

not tomorrow, a tomorrow on your country is a 2 days wait for me D:

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

but since you have photoshop, can you not just put the quality on the highest, and use jpg?

umm that would do the exact opposite of what I want to do. Not only do .jpg's cost twice as much memory, but you lose quality, even on max quality setting, so no that would definitely not work. Which makes me wonder why anyone even uses .jpg's anymore outside of compatibility issues.
JereN
JereN
189 posts
Peasant

@crimson
You could try targa? I'm not sure if it come down with size...but quality will be good...plus it has the alpha-channel :P

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

umm that would do the exact opposite of what I want to do. Not only do .jpg's cost twice as much memory, but you lose quality, even on max quality setting, so no that would definitely not work. Which makes me wonder why anyone even uses .jpg's anymore outside of compatibility issues.

JPEGs are actually smaller than PNGs depending on the type of image, although I'm not sure how you're saving or converting to JPEG.

I have a converted JPEG version of your image at 848 KB and a PNG version at 969 KB. The two are nearly indistinguishable, but there is noticeable loss in the JPEG if you zoom in quite a bit, although the only bit I noticed was at the blue-green gradient.
Ogt2
Ogt2
288 posts
Peasant

What happened to Zoph?

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

What happened to Zoph?

She is sleeping.
Showing 4576-4590 of 6854