ForumsArt, Music, and WritingArt Skills Contest

6854 4208657
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Hello and welcome!

This is a spin-off of the original GFX Art Battle, but with some updated rules and changes. Please make sure to read the rules before entering, since they have been modified. Good luck, we look forward to seeing some creative artistic entries!

Competition Rules
1. Must be hand drawn, either on paper or in a program. It can then be manipulated in an graphics program. But unoriginal artwork cannot be used as the main focus. Copyrighted images cannot be used. All pieces containing copyrighted images will be disqualified.
2. Submissions must follow the current theme that has been chosen by a moderator for that week. If you submit more than one piece, please clarify which one you would like to be judged.
3. If your image is larger than 600 pixels wide, please provide a link to the image instead of posting it in the forum. Otherwise, the image will be cut off.
4. Artists cannot win in subsequent weeks. You can still submit, but if you won the week before, you cannot get first place again the next week.
5. After the deadline, a moderator will pick the winner, and they will be awarded a 25 AP award.

• 6,854 Replies
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

putting the bottom two frames in a thought bubble seems to be the strongest approach.

You see, the only problem I find with that is that the thoad attacking the neighboor wouldn't be as extreme, and less likely to make you laugh. If it was just a thought, it would be more of a giggle. However, if it's in context of it actually happening, then it could make some full blown laughter (I tested this out on several different students with a comic similar to this one, I threw it away as most drawings of old). So yeah.
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

You see, the only problem I find with that is that the thoad attacking the neighboor wouldn't be as extreme, and less likely to make you laugh

You're right, it seems like a bit of a dodge.

Well, I gave it a bit of thought. I encounter framing issues all the time, and this is one of the commonest sorts- how does one keep the punchiest delivery while minimising risk of people missing it altogether?

In this case I would suggest making the random stick figure pop out of the screen in the 2nd frame and say "never say can't!" then. That way the narrative flow will follow a regular one-two pattern, which will make the link more intuitive. That way you don't even need to convey that there's some kind of time-lapse, the structure will tell the reader that the two events are paralleled and it will be clear that this is a joke based on displaced contexts.
Pazx
Pazx
5,845 posts
Peasant

My current homework is making me think of this theme...

And shout it out multiple times...

Arrgh...

Also, nice entrys so far XD!

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

In this case I would suggest making the random stick figure pop out of the screen in the 2nd frame and say "never say can't!" then. That way the narrative flow will follow a regular one-two pattern, which will make the link more intuitive. That way you don't even need to convey that there's some kind of time-lapse, the structure will tell the reader that the two events are paralleled and it will be clear that this is a joke based on displaced contexts.

that is true, the reason why I didn't do that (even though it crossed my mind) is because I did this in sake of lazyness. It was a pain to make the 1st panel because the desk had alot of detail to it, along with the position that I was in (I tend to actually take the position I'm in, and actually re-enact what I'm trying to do in these kinda comics). I didn't want to take the time and finish the 2nd panel, making all those details, which is why you see the change in scnerey of the 2nd panel (thoad backed up where his chair was, stick figure is up on the front of the desk). So basically, what I'm saying is that because I was lazy, that's where all the confusion came from, I think.
crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

Hey guys I'm BACK!!!!!!Its only been three days so I wonder if anyone even noticed I was gone.....Anyways update my team lost....badly and I just got a huge gory nose bleed so I am in such a great mood...seriously I am since I now have another free shirt from the team, a name tag, a free hat, and enough buttons and beads to look like I got attacked by the robotics Mardi Gras.....anyways I look forward to judging as this has had some interesting entries in it...so far.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I thought cen and zoph were judging..?

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I thought cen and zoph were judging..?

yes...I look forward to them judging
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

So basically, what I'm saying is that because I was lazy

Hm, if you're doing line sketches, you could easily pick it up with a mouse, then do copy-paste!

Redrawing copies is a pain in the a**, I can identify with that in the days before I used a computer. I wondered how the manga-kas rehashed all their detailed linework until I learnt they have templates set on cel which they just recycle and get the rest of the team to clean up lol.
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Hm, if you're doing line sketches, you could easily pick it up with a mouse, then do copy-paste!

EWWWWWWWWW, have you SEEN my mousework?
*shoots you a look of "WTF"*
Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

bah artist block. new entry.

http://i534.photobucket.com/albums/ee348/Cholokid34/whattf.jpg?t=1237770087

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

BWAHAHAHA, I lol'd Cholo, I totally lol'd.

Ogt2
Ogt2
288 posts
Peasant

thoad's entry: Omg lol awesome.
Cen's entry: Hmm... Strange.
Cholo's entry: I agree with thoad.
Random word: Pizza.

Ogt2
Ogt2
288 posts
Peasant