ForumsWEPRReligion's role in American politics

6 5237
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

There are plenty of claims made by very educated historians that suggest that America was founded on Christian ideals. Mitt Romney was ostracized for being Mormon. Even Barack Obama had to assert his Christian faith after accusations that he is a Muslim.
Is our country founded on Christianity, or on religious tolerance and freedom? How can a person's religious persuasion have an impact on what type of politician they would make? Do you think it would ever be possible for a Muslim or an Atheist to become president?

• 6 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

No matter what image a nation projects about having religious freedom, it is only skin deep. As the examples you listed are prime for showing that. Yes, someone in the general population of American MIGHT be able to practice their religion without much grief, but if you are going to be in politics you better be a near "Stepford" politician.

I would like to think that American would be educated enough to not fear diversity in our justice system and in our politicians, but I doubt it. There are too many hardcore Christian Republicans that are in and run this country. They even go so far as to claim that it would be impossible to have our laws and regulations without the Bible. I read that the other day.

It almost sickens me that this is the case. Probably because I have such a strong aversion to Christianity.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

People in the US have been religiously brainwashed to a certain degree on every level of, well, everything.

When it comes to politics, you always hear that "this great president was Christian" or "that world changing politician was Catholic", but do you ever really hear in later years "even though he caused an economic collapse that was felt for decades, he was a good Christian." Of course not. People connect good politicians to Christianity or Catholicism. And a good part of that is a major percentage of people who vote are of those religions, and I believe they see a chance to in a way bring their religion to another level.

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

All good points. As far as your last point, Devoidless, I'm not sure that people are actually wanting to advance their religion so much as they just feel like they have something very huge in common with that candidate.
But then we come back to what I think is an unanswerable question of what makes someone a Christian. People are probably just too stupid to realize that just because someone claims the same religion as them, it is not very likely that they will share very many important goals or motivations.
I was also thinking about America's war on "tyranny and oppression." We want people to have a more democratized government but we don't try to change their religion. If leaders thought that current democratic ideals or laws would be impossible without the teachings of Christianity, wouldn't it be also necessary to change a country's religion?

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Oh yea, a politician who is not a devout Christian would never be able to make it to the White House. Which is pretty sad since American takes pride in its diversity. A lot of candidates out there would be fantastic as well, but they would never be able to make it to the office. I remember when Lieberman was running for Vice President under Al Gore. Sure he might be able to get a senator position, but when it comes to helping run the White House people don't like it. I am sure that contributed somewhat to the fact that they didn't win.

Devoidless
Devoidless
3,678 posts
Jester

When it comes down to it though, if the government has a really strong like or dislike for a presidential runner the electoral college can always take care of it. It would not be the first time the winner of the popular vote did not get into office.

chiliad_nodi
chiliad_nodi
638 posts
Peasant

The Ideas of a christian:
Politics should be more diverse. I don't think it is right that some great candidates don't get a chance. I hate prdjudice, even if it is beneficial to me. I don't believe that it would matter if a different religeon were president, because it won't really affect the way I live. People are stupid, a person is smart. The politicial will appeal to christians and get his way. He wins people, he wins.

Showing 1-6 of 6