ForumsProgramming ForumFlash Animation

6 3701
gman1000
gman1000
978 posts
Nomad

Hello fellow Flash Animators! I recently decided to get into Flash. I have found a program (Swish Max2), and I have downloaded the trial. I plan to purchase it soon.

I have one problem though... I have absolutely no clue how to draw a character in it, then animate that character... I can make amazing websites with the program. The program is also intended for making Flash Cartoons. I have simply no idea how to start. Can someone help me?

• 6 Replies
jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

hello gman...it seems i've come to help you again :P
well, anyways, first i have a question for you... have you ever worked with bezier curves or pen tool in photoshop/illustrator/inkscape etc...? cuz if you have, everything would be waaayyy simpler.

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

Stick figures ftw, you start with lines, then you start to add circles for elbows, shoulders, knees, and then you start to conect then to create the "meat"

A good way to start is to get some pictures, or even sprites from games, and draw around then so that you can observe the techniques used and how your drawing is different from the original

This work for creating generic characters, but adding your own artistic style is something it will take a while to find out

gman1000
gman1000
978 posts
Nomad

@jpx111

Could you point me to these programs? Are they free?

@Captain_J_Sheridan

I have some of my characters made in MS Paint. Just basic sketches.

jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

only inkscape out of them is free:

http://www.inkscape.org/

but i wouldn't download them if I were you...i would just stick to swishmax
go look at some swishmax tutorials on the following site if you wanna learn the program

http://www.swishmaxtutorials.com/

gman1000
gman1000
978 posts
Nomad

I have looked at tutorials... I don't know how to draw in it though.

ExboMarker
ExboMarker
317 posts
Nomad

i would like to learn flash. i have seen many toutorials but nevey any really good ones

Showing 1-6 of 6