ForumsArt, Music, and WritingQuoth the raven "Nevermore"

15 5345
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

I love Edgan Allen Poe's works and "The Raven" was probably my favorite one, if you know who he is, what's your favorite poem and why?

• 15 Replies
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

This really should be in the Popular Media section. I'll go tell a mod to move it.

I do like some of Poe's work, but it's been a long time since I've read any, so I can't name a favorite.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

There's just one problem here. I can't classify this as popular media so much as literature, so I'm going to keep it here...for the time being.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

yep, I read the raven because of a school project, along with annebel lee. I still love his works. . . yum, time to go eat. . .i mean READ literature (i'ma gonna getch'a)

Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Annabell Lee...That poem was completely ruined for me by my lit teacher last year...She said that the line about him lying with his lover in her grave was probably about necrophilia. The whole class probably gave her weird looks for the next few days...

My personal favorite is "The House of Usher".

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

This is not a "real" poem, but it would have to be "Rhythms", Ulatempa Poetess, CY 9825.

kris1027
kris1027
506 posts
Nomad

I loved The Raven so much that maybe 10 years ago I memorized the entire thing by heart. I still remember the first few verses by heart.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

This is not a "real" poem, but it would have to be "Rhythms", Ulatempa Poetess, CY 9825.

What makes this NOT "real" poem? THat makes no sense! A poem is a poem so long as it has rythym, meter, and ryme.
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

It's a fictional poem by a fictional poet, which is actually (or most porbably) authored by Robert Hewitt Wolfe. I've only seen three excerpts from it, so I've never really read it. And whether or not the poem exists in full, I don't know.

Strop
Strop
10,816 posts
Bard

She said that the line about him lying with his lover in her grave was probably about necrophilia. The whole class probably gave her weird looks for the next few days...

Haha, take it from somebody who thought his teacher was gay because his teacher was merely pointing out all the homosexual references in every single piece of literature we studied...with great justification. She's just trying to make you think.

Alternatively she could be either reading the poem too literally, or, better yet, with a Gothic lens. I doubt that this reading necessitates thinking about necrophilia, so much a juxtaposition of sexual subtexts and a horror aesthetic. See the difference?
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

It's a fictional poem by a fictional poet

NO, just NO! The speaker is fictional but Edgar Allen Poe is indeed a real poet.
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

sorry about the double post but. . . .

For those who are asking "Why is this here?". Well, I figured these two reasons for not putting this in the popular media section.

1) Most people there talk about movies and such so I figured this wouldn't even be READ there.
2) Since this is an old poet, and is no longer popular among readers, I figured it would belong here with the more artistic fellows of armorgames.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Well, I don't think we're talking about the same thing. I was talking about my favorite poem.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

ok then, but this is about the works of Edgar Allen Poe. So yeah, simple misunderstanding, yay.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Ah, I misread.

My favorite Poe poem would most definitely have to be "A Dream Within a Dream" because what is what we may not have tomorrow?

adrecka_33
adrecka_33
304 posts
Peasant

I really liked his raven poems, ihad so many double meanings it really made u think....

Showing 1-15 of 15