ForumsArt, Music, and WritingSurvey (musicians should take a look)

16 4953
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I am creating this topic because I was thinking about setting up an unofficial audio contest for ArmorGames members. I would really like to get an idea of how many musicians frequent this site, and what the most popular genres are. If you are interested in participating in a music contest for a cash or merchandise reward, please post the following in this topic:

Instruments you can play.
Whether your music is instrumental or digital.
A 1-10 self evaluation of your skill level.
Your most prominent genre(s).

If there are enough people interested, a contest thread will be set up with deadline information, rules, and prizes.

• 16 Replies
ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I haven't decided yet. It will depend on whether more people use software or real instruments. The whole point of the survey is so that I can decide these things, so if you're interested just fill it out

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Well, ehm...

Cello/keyboard
Instrumental (though keyboard automatically becomes sort of digital)
5/10
Ehm... I don't know.

But I don't have access to any instruments atm, and I have no way of recording it... This is a rather cool idea though, even if it does clutter up the amount of stickies...

Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

-Piano
-Instrumental
-level 7 conservatory... so um 7?
-whats is &quotrominent genre"?

Klaushouse
Klaushouse
2,770 posts
Nomad

Prominent Genre is the type of music you play.

Like maybe you play guitar but you only play rock, or jazz. Or maybe your a piano player but you only play classical?

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Your prominent genre is the kind of music you most often play. Classical, metal, techno, etc.

crimsonblade55
crimsonblade55
5,420 posts
Shepherd

I am still taking drum lessons so I can't say I know how to do that,but I was thinking of a competition similar to this,but it would be using a special sequencing program that people could download for free.

Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

ok, then i dont have a prominent genre, because i will play anything

jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

Instruments you can play - Trumpet
Whether your music is instrumental or digital - well, its instrumental...i hate digital trumpets...
A 1-10 self evaluation of your skill level - meh...i'd say 6.5/10
Your most prominent genre(s) - I'd say Jazz

although I cant really participate since my recording device (crappy factory omni mic) is good for nothing but fencing :P

although I do make digital music on Finale ... so if I can enter those, count me in

Estel
Estel
1,973 posts
Peasant

I play electric, and classical guitar.
I play instrumental, but I have GuitarPro5 which is digital, but that connot be viewed unless you buy the software...Unless there is a way to digitally make guitar scores and such. I also can add drums although I don't know how to drum XP
I like to consider myself at least an 8 on my musical talent on guitar, but that could be judged by someone else :P
My genres of play are wide. I play some Boston, but then I can go to a bit more modern like Coheed and Cambria, and then shred some Bullet for my Valentine. So mostly rock/harder rock.

BumplemuffinBaker
BumplemuffinBaker
331 posts
Nomad

I play Electric Guitar, Classical Guitar, Spanish guitar, Double Bass, and Flamenco guitar.
The only thing remotely digital about my music is that I use microphones and Audacity and GuitarPro5 to record.
I think I'm probably a 9 on a scale of one to ten, but someone else should judge that.
I play everywhere from classical and Spanish, to heavy metal, but I mainly like AC/DC like rock.

BumplemuffinBaker
BumplemuffinBaker
331 posts
Nomad

I play Electric, Jazz, Classical, Flamenco, and Soanish guitar. I also play Double Bass.
I play instrumental, but I use digital equimptment to record myself.
I'd say I'm probably a 9/10, but someone else should decide that.
I play everywhere from classical to hard rock.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Ok guys, the contest is on! Sign up for it here!

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Hm.

Instrument: Piano. This can be either digital or not. I also have a Creative Prodikeys lying around but never used it yet.
Skill level: After two weeks of intensive reconditioning, 9.5. Everybody expected me to pursue a career as a concert pianist (I didn't want to). I'm licensed to teach (L.Mus), can do professional accompaniment, capable of learning any (physically possible) piece in the piano repertoire but my sight-reading isn't up to speed (i.e. if I were like, say, Richter, I'd call that a 10).

I also play french horn, but when I practice that for 2 weeks intensively I'd say I'm more a 6/10. Definitely not my first instrument.

Primary genre: Classical. Though I can write in pretty much any genre, and most frequently write rap (lol) and rock stuff. Besides I actually don't even use the keyboard to input. And I'm really just waiting on software before I start mastering my own music as well. I have tons of MIDI lying around just waiting...

True_Blood_Master
True_Blood_Master
53 posts
Nomad

Does singing count? I love to sing and to judge me i can post youtube videos of myself and put them on clubchills.wetpaint.com and you can judge me from that, i mean if singers are allowed. On account of this is a thread for musicians.

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

I can play th violin :O
Instrumental of course
Skill level.. um bad? 6/10 more like 4/10
Mainly classical never played techno lol.

Showing 1-15 of 16