ForumsArt, Music, and WritingNaNoWriMo 2008

32 6329
Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

That's right, it's that time of the year, for National Novel Writing Month!

http://i438.photobucket.com/albums/qq105/strawpony/NaNoNovember120x238.png

NaNoWriMo is simple but epic. Your challenge is to write 50000 words of original novel in the month of November. All it has to be is your own work, whether you go over, whether you finish your story doesn't matter. It can be total crap that you write, but this is one activity where you really get out what you put in, so it doesn't matter!

This is for people who have thought "gee I want to write a novel" but never quite got the pluck to do it. Just join up, find your local writers or team up with your writing buddies and let the infectious spirit of peer pressure propel you to literary win!

I myself participated in 2007 (and succeeded), and, against my better judgment, have thrown in the gauntlet for 2008.

WHO'S WITH ME???

• 32 Replies
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I might actually have time this year. All my midterms are done by then, but I don't know if I'll have any will left.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I might be able to participate. It sounds like a pretty interesting experience. I'll definitely make an effort, but it really depends on how much free time I have this november.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

I'm all signed up

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

And now my account's been deleted for some reason :/

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Looks like the site says that they are having hardware problems.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Darn uber, that blows.

The NaNo servers are traditionally overworked. They run everything from maintenance to setting up charity programs around the world entirely off donations. This year I think they're hoping to raise somewhere around $300,000.

Seriously, why in the ever-lovin' chutney did I enter again!?

Aquajag
Aquajag
89 posts
Nomad

Not me, not this year. I did 2004, but now I'm back in school, and have no desire to try and add one more time commitment to my life. But... that said, I wish I could. And I plan to, again, one day! It was a great experience. The story I wrote could definitely use work, but I rarely finish a story so it was a great challenge to push through a decent sized tale.

ubertuna
ubertuna
2,123 posts
Shepherd

Well, it looks like their server has crashed, and most of their data has been lost. Read what it says on their homepage.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I think I'll bump this. It's already started in most of the world. I've still got some time to wait.

mentorso123
mentorso123
368 posts
Jester

I might...
I'm not that talented a writer though, and I still don't completely understand what this is.

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Waahhhhh I just remembered that since I discovered that neurology rotation >>>>>> my ninja ability I have to pull out...meaning I should probably unaffiliate myself with my region because I don't want to drag their average word count down...Melbourne has some gutsy challenges going, we missed 20th by a coupla hundred words last year and we'll get it this time round!

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

Ah I wish, I'm not very good, I've tried writing before and it was horrible, I got made fun of for a whole week at school because it was so bad =O and/or funny, I never really asked which it was to them...

But it is interesting =) I think it's really cool that there's something like this, which I didn't know existed until now.

Although its not November for me yet, I've still got.......
3 Hours and 23 Minutes until it's starts...

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

You mean 13 minutes, RaptorExx, I have yet to find a timezone that is out from the others by 10 minutes :P

I would suggest signing up asap, but I think the servers are way overloaded from about 150000 people logging in at the same time, myself included.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I am participating, against my will. Been typing the last half hour, sense midnight. My main problem is I can't stand to write something I am not happy with. Quantity over quality just doesn't work for me. I don't think I'll finish given my 8 WPM.

mentorso123
mentorso123
368 posts
Jester

WHY AM I ALWAYS IGNORED??????
jeez... (I'm going to say that a LOT)

How may I sign up, and does anyone think that it would be worth it for me?

Showing 1-15 of 32