ForumsProgramming ForumQuestions about overall programming and game design.

20 5340
A1ter3go
A1ter3go
15 posts
Nomad

Hi, I've been looking into game design for as long as I can remember. I've been taking some basic computer class at a local community college, but all they really have is a basic scripting class.. and I believe something similar in programming. I've had a lot of trouble as well finding a university that is more based around this.

Is there anyone here at armor that has or is going to a school based around game design or anything of the sort?

Also I was wondering if there were free programs out there that would help me with the basics of programming and game design. I've read a lot on people using actionscript. Also what kind of languages are used in game design? All I've really heard of is C++.

Are there any design programs that would be useful that you have to pay for? I'd be willing to pay for a more defined understanding of everything involved.

I'd also really like to start working with flash and start out with games that are posted on the site and to have others try out and critique. What all would I really need to have a profound understanding in to be able to do this?

Forgive me if this may have been posted in the wrong forum, this seemed like the most geared towards what I was looking for.

Thank you for any help on the topic.

• 20 Replies
A1ter3go
A1ter3go
15 posts
Nomad

also with Maya for the 3d graphics, which of the free trials should I download that would work best for what I'm looking at.

I'll definitely take a look at the others.

Thanks again!

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

Don't have an answer for that one, never used Maya myself

A1ter3go
A1ter3go
15 posts
Nomad

With Game Maker even though it says "You don't need to know how to write a single line of code!" does it also have the option to where you can write coding?

Also would you say that Game Maker is a pretty solid program to get a good understanding of whats in store?

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

Yeah, there's coding in Game Maker, so if you get tired of the casual think, you can dig deeper. There's also Ruby Scripting in RPG Maker XP and VX if you want. Multimedia Fusion is the only one which stays the same till the end

The three of them are pretty solid, I'm just not a big fan of RPG Maker when it comes to learning programming

A1ter3go
A1ter3go
15 posts
Nomad

Alright I think I'll give Game Maker a try it seems like I could learn a lot from it. Thanks for all the help with answering question Captain, I'll be sure to post back with any questions.

Showing 16-20 of 20