ForumsNewcomers Forum

Spam Guide (updated)

Posted Oct 18, '08 at 5:28pm

jdoggparty

jdoggparty

5,957 posts

This is guide to understanding spam.

What is spam?

Spam is when you post a meaningless post. If you do this, you will have to edit it, or else it will be deleted. Try to keep all of your posts +5 words, it helps prevent this spam. Always go with the topic, even if you still have more than 5 words, it is spam.

What is so bad about spam?

Spam is bad because

It slows down the website, and clogs up the forums. It is harder to find posts that you want to find. And, it makes the value of the site worse. When you spam it is not as fun, because you don't actualy get to do what you're here for: Talking about the thread. It will not help you in any way, it might be bad for you. So don't do it.

Why would someone spam?

They want points, they want to be known better. Spamming helps people recognize you, and they might want to be recognized. They want points, what does that mean? It means, if they spam, they get more BP. ten spam posts would get you 1 BP, so they would go higher in the charts. But I will actually make spam lose you BP.

SO DO NOT SPAM

Posted Oct 18, '08 at 5:39pm

juan999999

juan999999

3,162 posts

I want to add or rephrase what you said.

What is spam?

Spam can be a lot of things.
Writing random comments to only get AP.
Cussing and insulting others.
A really short sentence like "Pizza is good"

What is so bad about spam?

Well most importantly it' ad becuase it's spam!
You just waste your time accomplishing nothing.
You think you affect someones feelings while others see no meaning at all.
As Jdogg said,it slows the site and gives mods and admins a lot of work wish give them less time to update the site with better things.
Spam can get you banned temporary or permanently so wahtch out.

Why would someone spam?

Jdogg pointed out the most important thing."To get AP"
The also spam to annoy,insult,discourage,or simply for fun.

What do I do when i see spam?
I would suggest to report this immediately to aMod or Admin as soon as possible.

Jdoggparty says:SO DON'T SPAM

Posted Oct 18, '08 at 9:56pm

InTheZone

InTheZone

605 posts

Just because posts are 5 words or more doesn't mean it's not spam. Let's not forget those people who backseat mod (i.e. "DO NOT POST AFTER THIS LINE" -- yeah right, like that's going to work) and constantly write "Guys, this is spam", etc. Those posts should be considered spam as well, since they don't contribute anything significant to the thread.

The other thing bugging me about this thread is the fact you write: "DO NOT SPAM" -- telling people and forcing that down their throat won't curb the problem. You need to give them the tools to figure out the proper solution, which Juan does, sort of, but I suggest flagging is a better solution and contacting a moderator/admin directly (in extreme cases; use your judgement)

Posted Oct 18, '08 at 10:23pm

armor_warrior

armor_warrior

1,261 posts

Spam can be a lot of things.
Writing random comments to only get AP.
Cussing and insulting others.
A really short sentence like "Pizza is good"

Actually cussing and insulting others is flaming not spam, which is just as bad but is also different. Also this is a good guide but it says in the rules about spam so it really has no point.

Posted Oct 19, '08 at 12:20am

Kid_Saiyain

Kid_Saiyain

567 posts

if pizza is good goes with the topic then is it spam?

Posted Oct 19, '08 at 4:28am

Deviant

Deviant

76 posts

Looks like everything i've ever read from Kid_Saiyain is spam....

Posted Oct 19, '08 at 7:32am

Cenere

Cenere

14,002 posts

Knight

Flag
if pizza is good goes with the topic then is it spam?

If you do not write why you think pizza is good, it will be considered spam by many more serious users. Just saying that you like pizza will not get the discussion going, because there are no reason why you think this thing.

Posted Oct 19, '08 at 8:19am

mrtim

mrtim

2,907 posts

let me add another thing

What do I do when i see spam?
juan says: I would suggest to report this immediately to a Mod or Admin as soon as possible.

* If someone already said "this is spam" then DONT say the same thing, it only takes ONE person to say that!
* you could also report them to SHOPS. More information in regards to that is in that profile
-----------------------------------------------------

Hopefully this will decrease spam, but not all spam. This should be a sticky in this forums I think as well.

Posted Nov 3, '08 at 6:38pm

jdoggparty

jdoggparty

5,957 posts

Mrtim says

* If someone already said "this is spam" then DONT say the same thing, it only takes ONE person to say that!

You shouldn't just say that this is spam. It just makes you spamming also. Instead of posting at all, just flag the comment.

And I have one more section to add.

What are some methods to do to help me not spam?

One way is to be helpful in your post. And explain every thing very clearly. If you do that it is impossible to spam. Always stay with the topic, and don't just answer, explain your answer. This one is big. Do not care about your ap. If you do not spam, ap will come naturally.

Posted Nov 4, '08 at 5:51pm

juan999999

juan999999

3,162 posts

If someone already said "this is spam" then DONT say the same thing, it only takes ONE person to say that!

Did you get mad?
When did i say the same thing or are you telling people?

Reply to Spam Guide (updated)

You must be logged in to post a reply!