ForumsSupport ForumFinding Friends Using E-Mail

22 4241
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

So lately i have seen many topics about friends asking "How could we find a friend?" or "We need a user finder".
I think there could be a better idea that could involve less coding.

OK so take this as an example.
Evey user has a e-mail that needs to be used to activate their account.

http://i355.photobucket.com/albums/r471/JuanAmaro56/Untitled-11.jpg?t=1225244893

If their your friend you could ask for their e-mail and on AG maybe there could be some sort of User/E-mail finder where users can be found using their E-mail.

What do you think about this idea?
I know it has their good and bad points and i want to see them form YOU.

• 22 Replies
shayneii
shayneii
2,492 posts
Peasant

I think it's a privacy issue. I know I don't want my email given to random people on the internet. I wouldn't want it on a list being searched either. I don't really like the idea.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

If their your friend you could ask for their e-mail and on AG maybe there could be some sort of User/E-mail finder where users can be found using their E-mail.

Why don't you just ask for their username?
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

This is not to find random people.
This is to find friends or invite them to AG.
If you don't know their user name then what will you do?

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Then they will be banned.
If people get annoyed all the responsibility will be theirs.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

Why don't you just ask for their username?

Haha great point just email them asking if they have an AG username.
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Yeah but i said you won't give your e-mail to strangers.
You will give them to you're friends and they will find you by it if they don't know your user name.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Haha great point just email them asking if they have an AG username.

What if they never answer back?
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

PLEASE READ CAREFULLY

Think about it instead of shouting please. If you know their e-mail why wouldn't they tell you their username? After all they did tell you their e-mail. If they're your friends, why wouldn't they answer back? If they don't asnwer back, then they don't want you to know or they haven't the time to reply.

Additionally, if you see them face to face, why wouldn't they tell you if you asked them? They are your friends after all. (What's more, if you're really good friends with someone they/you could figure out who you/they are, and I was actually found that way once by my idiosyncrasies.)
ParalysisTerror
ParalysisTerror
793 posts
Nomad

This idea would be a little similar to Kongregate but I do like the idea of finding friends but not inviting them because referrals don't exist anymore on armor games.

Xcalibur45
Xcalibur45
1,830 posts
Farmer

Wow this really works! Good Job juan

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I guess inviting would be a big problem but finding is really good right?

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Finding would be one thing, but we absolutely cannot bring another referring action again. 80K ghost accounts is 80K too many thanks >_>

I waited for a while to decide, and after looking at the reasons why, I'm going to say it would be worth it. I'm still slightly confused, so Wan, would you kindly explain in small-person words what you mean? Thanks =D

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Yes i will.
I would like a search engine or maybe not a search engine that can find users using their e-mail address in case you don't know their AG name.

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

I would like a search engine or maybe not a search engine that can find users using their e-mail address in case you don't know their AG name

Why not just email them? Why waste all that time creating this function if you can access them another way?
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Hmm.. That gives out a reason to give another type of search other than "games".

Username, would be 2nd choice, Username by E-mail, 3rd choice. And the username/e-mail has to be SPECIFIC so we don't run into random username problems.

Showing 1-15 of 22