ForumsArt, Music, and WritingLife of a Union Soldier

1 2757
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Introduction: This is all based on the times of the Civil War, the highlighted battles of the Civil War, and the tough times the soldiers had to go through in order to participate...

For those who don't know, the Civil War was started because of three things:

1. The difference in number between the Democrats and the Republicans, which the Democrats had voted 'No' on the tariff that the Republicans have argued that the Democrats were getting profits from their goods, while they were suffering from buying their manufactured products.

2. The constant arguments of slavery, whom Democrats from the North had disagreed on, and the Republicans from the South had encouraged the use of. As new states were annexed by the leaders of the time, Congress had a tough time deciding if the newly annexed states were going to be a North state, or a South state.

3. The last straw was the election of President Lincoln, and his law that the slaves who had escaped to the Northern Territory were considered free. Afterwards, the South seceded from the Union and declared war. The first shots fired were on Fort Sumter, where the story takes place.

The main character of the story is an unidentified confederate soldier who has just enlisted in the confederate army and deals with his experiences in camp:

I had just enlisted in the confederate army, bearing the heavy weight that I might not come back to see my parents' faces ever again. I have the constant thought of how they are faring during these tough times, if and when they are thinking about me, and if they are worried that I may not return. I, a 15-year-old boy, have much trouble being a private in the army, especially that I have to carry a 20 pound rifle with a 12 inch bayonet on the hilt, meaning if I tripped at all, I could puncture my body with ease.

The commanding officer warned us (the new recruits) that the only shirts we will ever have were the clothes on our backs, and the coarse uniforms that have been poorly sewn. However, some of us didn't even have uniforms, that we only had our clothes that we brought with us, but some of us were poor and so we were trained barefoot. I for one, was glad that I had to wear a tight uniform that was old and dirty, for the coming days were going to be frigid and wet.

We only got to be trained for barely a month, when the general, Robert E. Lee gave the order to open fire on Fort Sumter to start our rebellion. I picked up my rifle and proceeded to group with the 15th regiment, many of which were inexperienced recruits like myself. There were around 200 of us, some of which didn't have a uniform, and even some more didn't even have a shirt to wear. The officers even warned us that we might not even get a full ration to feed on.

So then we marched, on for about 4 days until we set up camp and waited for further orders, in the forest surrounding Fort Sumter.

"Look at those Yankees!" one confederate private exclaimed. A group of Union soldiers, around 50-70, were gathering around a nearby pond to feast on a picnic lunch. They couldn't be serious... we are at war, and they eat in uniform? Soon the lieutenant came back with orders of Lee. We were to attack very soon...

It wasn't very long after the first shot fired, that the Union soldiers based in Fort Sumter realized they were shot upon, and they returned the favor. Flags were raised, battle drums were praised, smoke filled the air, and bullets seemed to become the wind. I picked up my rifle and ducked under a nearby hill and aimed low to the ground. I fired upon another Union soldier, but horribly missed. Swearing, I filled the rifle with powder and added another bullet inside. {rifles at this time were horribly inaccurate and only had one bullet to fire in, so soldiers had to constantly refill their rifles every time they fired} It didn't take long when I decided it was best to fire upon soldiers who were also refilling their rifle, the hunch was correct, and my bullet met the enemy's neck. I quickly fell back to the same hill and reloaded. When I looked back, a horrible grimace filled my face.

More of the Union soldiers have returned from a nearby outpost and had joined the battle; more soldiers gave them more confidence, and they decided to charge with their bayonets. More and more of us were falling and we weren't doing any better against them. We then resorted to fight hand-to-hand, using our bayonets as weapons, as they usually did more damage and was highly accurate.

Three hours into the fighting, I met face to face with Death himself. At least 10 soldiers had their rifles pointed straight at me and I winced, waiting for my life to end. Shots fired and I closed my eyes, but something unexpected happened.

An officer with a white steed, gathered with 10 other officers fired with a different brand of rifles that seemed to do the job correctly. They had just saved my life, when 2 seconds later could've been the end of me.

The leader stretched out his hand to me and said "Robert E. Lee, at your service!" I accepted his offer and climbed upon his padded horse and proceeded to protect him, as any other soldiers would do to his general. It felt nice to sit on padded leather, rather than a hard, crusty ground and a rock to lay your head on. Stress seemed to fly out of me, and I was repleted with morale. I grabbed my rifle and took out any Union soldier that was too close to the steed with my bayonet, which definitely did a better job than a mediocre rifle.

"You're doing a grand job, Son!" the General praised. I felt honored, both the fact that I'm riding on the horse of Robert E. Lee, but also fighting side-by-side with him as well. He winked at me as he gave out bellowing commands and pinned his opponents with ease. He was traveling so fast, no Union soldier could open fire on us; they were too busy aiming!

Soon, the battle came to an end, and victory was ours; The Confederates had captured Fort Sumter. "If I know him[Ulysses S. Grant, the Union General], he will try at all costs to reclaim Fort Sumter", he explained to me. "You're doing a magnificent job Son, you'll do well in the coming battles!" My mouth agape, he kindly let me off his horse while he and his officers traveled back to their own tent. I received my first medal, the bronze star, for my efforts and earned the respect of my fellow troops. I do hope I can do better so I can impress Robert E. Lee even greater.

--Unknown Soldier C.November 1861

Author: However, that certain soldier was never seen again, and his name covered up in the war. The experience of the soldier was fictional, but the siege of Fort Sumter and the related events were not.

• 1 Reply
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Could a moderator change the topic to "Life of a CONFEDERATE Soldier" please? I messed up.

Showing 1-1 of 1