ForumsSupport ForumThe Rating System

24 3743
MyNameIsZain
MyNameIsZain
464 posts
Nomad

The system we have for rating games is not precise enough. Instead of rating overall how was the game. Their should be rating bars that say music, graphics, and playability. That makes the player more interested in the game. Right?

• 24 Replies
MarkedTarget6
MarkedTarget6
1,699 posts
Peasant

well then wed have to vote on more than one bar which means getting triple or more Ap which we dont want

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

Well, that may work, however, that is the main objective of the comments section, isn't it? The rating you give a game is the overall mark for the game -- in the comments section, you give indepth answers and provide details for the reasoning.

If we were to have separate bars for each part of a game, wouldn't we still have to explain how we came to that reasoning? Granted, not everyone provides reasoning for their rating... having more bars for rating will still yield ambiguous results.

MyNameIsZain
MyNameIsZain
464 posts
Nomad

yes hardly anybody takes their time to raed merit comments. Their are usually comment like- good, bad, lol, sucks.
So you look at the raing bar, it be easy. Besides voting on 3 bars will give the same amount of points as 1 bar.

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

Yes, but do ratings really prevent people from playing games? They do sometimes, but heck, if you're really bored, you'll play the game and make your own call.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

Besides voting on 3 bars will give the same amount of points as 1 bar.

How would that work? What if some one only rated the graphics and nothing else? Would they get .33 AP?
I think the current system is fine, if you want to rate every seperate thing you can right a merit. But it's an ok idea.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

I haven't seen a single website that goes by multiple ratings. This could help with ratings in merit comments, as it goes by sections, but I doubt there is any other advantage. Unless every single rating was shown on a category of games page, then it might attract more people. It might get a little crowded though...

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Well, they do have a unique way of rating.

There are still 2 ways.

Accompanied with your review, you have to give a rating that you can rate only once out of ten, and there is a score that shows that. And then there is a section that you can rate out of 5 once a day.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

Would they get .33 AP?

Just make the Overall Rating worth 1 point and the other to worth .50 AP XD
Or make them worth nothing and keep O.R. at 2 AP??? You'd probably get more 'honest' ratings on the other rating bars because only the honest, good raters would take the time to rate 0 AP-giving bars...
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

So you suggest we go with the idea, Raptor?

OctoberSnow
OctoberSnow
207 posts
Nomad

I think it would be good if the extra bars gave no AP. I would take the time to provide the player with an accurate representation. You don't have to write a merit comment to give a good idea of the game.

I liked the music it was catchy. 7/10
Playability, the different difficulty levels provide a gaming experience for the casual gamer and the hardcore veteran. 5/10
Graphics are very good, but the screen seemed cluttered in some parts of the game. 7/10

I made that up about a game I've never played. Didn't take long, wont get a merit, what it will do is give the people a decent idea of the game.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

What do you mean, gameplaya109?

And your right, OctoberSnow, we can do without this suggestion by simply adding ratings of it ourselves in our comments.

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

So you suggest we go with the idea, Raptor?

Not quite as it is. It could get a little more improvement but right now it doesn't seem to great, just more stuff to hand out AP like free apples at a supermarket.
we can do without this suggestion by simply adding ratings of it ourselves in our comments.

So basically don't look at my post cause I'll forget to rate the music and such.

But I myself wouldn't mind these to be 'optional' to give more insight to gamers looking for some good ratings. As I said earlier you wouldn't get any AP for putting in your suggestion, so it's not like it can be spammed, unless someone really wants to take the time...
foxlink
foxlink
270 posts
Nomad

i like this idea, ironily i started puting a list of points in the commit section based on muic, graphic and origlaty and additcion a few days ago. here might be an improvment on your idea. when a person is rating the game, they have to fill in three or four bars then they will get there point(s). this will prevent any confussion

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I don't think there are many people who play for the game or the music. Graphics and music ratings don't factor into much. Bad graphics can be overlooked. Good graphics aren't worth squat in a bad game. Bad music can be muted (and if it can't it's not worth playing). Good music isn't worth squat either.

What I think should be added in addition to the overall rating is a difficulty rating. More often than not, I see "rage rates". You hate a game because it's too hard, you give it a lower score. A game that's too easy, you (may) give it a lower score, but not as low as a very hard game (because you happened to have beat it).

Surely difficulty would pique a player's interest?

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

Surely difficulty would pique a player's interest?

Possibly! That kind of rating bar I certainly wouldn't mind having around. Of course, you wouldn't earn AP. I think more often than not, difficulty always seems to factor in the overall score. People who have a difficult time playing a simple game (e.g. Sudoku) will rate it terribly low, which is understandable, but should you really lash out at the game's overall score? ... I think you should be, but NOT SO MUCH, after look at all the other factors in the game (e.g. music, graphics, gameplayability[notaword], etc)
Showing 1-15 of 24