ForumsSupport ForumSpam Stopper

11 2901
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

One of the main ways people spam is just by rating tens and sometimes hundreds of gakes a day adding comments like 'ok' and whatnot. A eay to stop this happening wpi;d be to put a time in seconds that a particular user spent playing the game. In this way it would be obvius to mods which people were just commenting and rating for points and they woud be able to punish them accordingly.

• 11 Replies
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Yes but it would distinguish the people who just click on thegame rate in and post and then leave within 10 secs. surely to give a game a faitr try you would play it for at least 1 min.

mvpguy22
mvpguy22
304 posts
Peasant

You didn't answer mrtim's questions.

Well, what if the person has played the game on another website? or maybe on this website without logging in? also what if one got found the game boring?

You just repeated your previous post without truly answering the question.

Honestly, I think this isn't a great idea. I see the point you are trying to make, but, as mrtim said, what if the person has played it, but was not logged in or was on a different site?
Danstanta
Danstanta
1,702 posts
Blacksmith

Well good try but if that could be a way, a moderator or some kind would not have enough time too see every single persons accounts or progress.

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

Wow... do you have any idea how difficult that might be to implement? How would this even stop spam? People would just as easily wait it out (e.g. put AG in one tab, wait 7 minutes, while playing some other games/banking/etc).

Also, mrtim provides some really good points -- there are a great many games on this website featured everywhere on the Internet, a person finally finds a place to write a comment/review and you're going to punish them for that?

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

I like the idea, but it is going to be EXTREMELY difficult to enforce
Pros-
Obviously less spam
others would be discouraged to do it.
Ratings would be more acurate on games
People who have merit- worthy comments would be seen for a longer time, thus helping them earn merits
It would give the mods something to do

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

I'm not sure what to say about the game comments, but if it were my decision, I would say to have rated games give out no AP at all. It just shows that you know how to click with the mouse, and of course no one really gives honest ratings anymore. There are games out there that I consider cool and entertaining, but they have 5 ratings and 6 ratings; that is all just proof that users really don't care about the hard work that the developers put into their games, while they get a measly 2 AP for clicking a button. If you think about it, spammers stray away from things that give out no AP, so those new games that come out can have a chance for those reviewers and users who actually care about giving an honest rating. Well there's my 3 cents about it.

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

Obviously less spam
I fail to see that happening. People wouldn't necessarily create better comments just because they wait it out a bit longer.

Ratings would be more acurate on games
Sometimes people just pissed off at a game and simply rate it right away, not necessarily that much accurate

People who have merit- worthy comments would be seen for a longer time, thus helping them earn merits
That's yet to be seen..

It would give the mods something to do
That's an insult to them

woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Well, what if the person has played the game on another website? or maybe on this website without logging in?

there are a great many games on this website featured everywhere on the Internet, a person finally finds a place to write a comment/review and you're going to punish them for that?

In that case if you have truly played the game it should show in the length and depth of the comment, unlike the many 1 or 2 word ones you see. Itr would be abovious to a mod if you havent spammed if the length of the comment was decent but you had only played it for a shirt time.

How would this even stop spam? People would just as easily wait it out (e.g. put AG in one tab, wait 7 minutes, while playing some other games/banking/etc).

There are always going to be people who will spam like that, but undoubtedly this would make it more time and effort consuming so i think on the whole it probably would reduce spam levels.
Lige
Lige
1,568 posts
Nomad

Bang! right through the forehead. am I right? my idea of killing spammers keeps looking better every day.

Generalhero
Generalhero
396 posts
Farmer

bad idea man i give it a 4 out of 10 lol

ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

Actually there is a trap in this idea: people can report others. Simply put, if you spam a lot, then the chances of getting caught is very high. I for example, play a game and after a while, if I get board, I look at all comments and filter out the spam, with one or three words. I also report people who write down what they rated. If people do that, then spammers will be caught more often and many will be taught a lesson.

I think Armorgames Moderators and Administrators should have an automatic tally chart to see how bad a person was.

So as you can see, it is the communities fault if they let spammers through. Good idea though, looks like i should make a club for this.

Showing 1-11 of 11