ForumsWEPRGlobal Warming

933 210457
zombieslayer
zombieslayer
94 posts
Nomad

i dont beleive in global warming because i think that it is so gradual that by the time it is dangerous the next ice age will counter act it

Does any one else have any views or opinions about that?

• 933 Replies
Lennywins
Lennywins
130 posts
Nomad

Oh, trees. I knew a carbon sink would absorb carbon from the atmosphere, but I thought you meant some sort of elaborate machine. I didn't know that limestones could absorb CO2 though.

iFish
iFish
442 posts
Nomad

lol, ok,

Lennywins
Lennywins
130 posts
Nomad

Yeah, I don't think we'd need to launch trees into space since they don't release the carbon into the air, they combine it with other stuff to make sugar for food.

iFish
iFish
442 posts
Nomad

but eventually, dont they let out the CO-2 in the summer?

Lennywins
Lennywins
130 posts
Nomad

I don't think so... I think the carbon part of the CO2 is just absorbed used to make the tree bigger. As a tree grows, it uses whatever it absorbs, like nutrients, to grow bigger. The C in CO2 stands for carbon. CO2 is a compound made up of carbon and oxygen. The tree absorbs the CO2 and separates it (not sure how) and releases the oxygen back into the atmosphere. The carbon is then used to build up the tree (I think. I'm pretty sure it doesn't ever let the carbon back out into the air.

iFish
iFish
442 posts
Nomad

oh but they realease it after they die, so ultimatly they dont keep it:
"arbon, stored in humus is oxidized rapidly; this, in addition to high rainfall levels, is the reason why tropical jungles have very thin organic soils. The forest eco-system may eventually become carbon neutral. Forest fires release absorbed carbon back into the atmosphere, as does deforestation due to rapidly increased oxidation of soil organic matter.

The dead trees, plants, and moss in peat bogs undergo slow anaerobic decomposition below the surface of the bog. This process is slow enough that in many cases the bog grows rapidly and fixes more carbon from the atmosphere than is released. Over time, the peat grows deeper. Peat bogs inter approximately one-quarter of the carbon stored in land plants and soils.[4]

Under some conditions, forests and peat bogs may become sources of CO2, such as when a forest is flooded by the construction of a hydroelectric dam. Unless the forests and peat are harvested before flooding, the rotting vegetation is a source of CO2 and methane comparable in magnitude to the amount of carbon released by a fossil-fuel powered plant of equivalent power.[5]"

i jsut had to serch it up!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Carbon_dioxide_sink#Forests

iFish
iFish
442 posts
Nomad

read the last paragraph...

Lennywins
Lennywins
130 posts
Nomad

Oh yeah... Duh... Forgot about when they die.

Lennywins
Lennywins
130 posts
Nomad

Serb... just stop. We've pretty well wrapped that one up.

tyralpha
tyralpha
8 posts
Nomad

wow TOT, it turns out 1998 was the hottest year since 1998, boy that sure was close, wasn't it? and Kilimanjaro's getting colder just so you know, the humidity is just dropping.

And why has it been getting colder for the last couple years while CO2 levels are getting higher? And whatever happened to global cooling anyway? There are only two causes of global warming, the sun, and Al Gore, Al gore because he's so full of hot air.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

tyralpha, global warming brings out the extremes in weather. That means hotter summers, colder winters, bigger hurricanes, etc. So this may not sound logical to someone who has not studied it, but colder winters are actually due to global warming.

netrino
netrino
83 posts
Jester

well now we cant do anything! even if we stop everything our planet will not be saved....

netrino
netrino
83 posts
Jester

... so better let all this factories to work and people plzzzzz dont make more children! its useless since we are all dead

WallyOhio
WallyOhio
146 posts
Nomad

that's a pretty grim view netrino. i think we're ok to have kids for a few millenia yet...

Nickster_on_Fire
Nickster_on_Fire
5 posts
Nomad

peoblem is that in 2050 earth will be Chronially overcrowded, and as carlie said it's true, here we had -50C temps and we've been breaking records

Showing 106-120 of 933