ForumsArt, Music, and WritingYaltan, Massel and stuff...

50 14461
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

This thread will more or less just be here for my own "entertainment's" sake - meaning I don't wanna be told off for double or triple posting if no one comments on what I put up here.
I'm only saying this, because I know threads with stories and such tends to be forgotten. I would love comments on what I post.

Alright then.

I have two languages I'm developing for my worlds/species. I haven't worked on them for a very long time, but now I feel like getting back to it. So I'll be posting incomprehensible text here. Sometimes with a translation, mayhaps I'll even post the dictionaries in the progress...
AND THERE WILL BE TONS OF SPELLING ERRORS BECAUSE AG HATES SPECIAL CHARACTERS IN WRITING.
And there shall be pictures, for I have alphabets for my creations.

To begin with - a poem with a structure strongly based on one about Aragorn in 'The Lord of the Rings'.
I really liked the structure of that poem, and found it fitting, so changed a bunch of things and came out with a 'ost doomsday' prophecy from Hrowan (one of my worlds).

English
From the Darkness a Fire shall be woken
The King through the shadows will fall
Renewed be the World that were broken
The Ash brought to life by his Call

Danish (just because it's gibberish to most of you :P)
Fra Moerket skal en Flamme blive vaekket
Skygger vaere skyld i Kongens fald
Fornyet blive Verden som blev knaekket
Asken bragt til live af hans Kald

Yaltan (with aforementioned errors - why no n with a ~ on it??)
Ki za Othot zz'gun zan Ignan fyhr weinahn
Za Chohn zehj za Ydahrnt zohnn lushun
Hinah fyrah Hrowan ayn ehn hindahn
Za Naal charhn yy lai fu soha Vauhn

Massel (the language of mazzelhs, yay!)
narrph'ka'ond-drrthon
drru-ond'thal-un'ad
rruno'drruzon-zoph'non
rrtho'hrrunol-drrad

Enjoy the gibberish here, and the gibberish to come.

• 50 Replies
mentorso123
mentorso123
368 posts
Jester

Aha! This is very cool! I shall check back here soon...
*looks at clock* not soon enough

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

woah, the Massel language is really hard to pronounce, but the first one i could do with a little bit of stuttering.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

I have never met another person who was able to pronounce Massel.

Anyway, more Yaltan:
Natsohnahn enadahn, snem tashist
Hih eshahn ihd, ihj natzihln matauhn
Tashi ehvorp, epsic ehvorp zaht
Hih zohnn ehn ihda reihn gennfaan

mentorso123
mentorso123
368 posts
Jester

I looked back, and behold, more Yaltan!!!
what does it mean?
Did you make the language?

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

Let's see about a translation of that... I'm a bit rusty with it...

Directly translated, it's...
Continuously smile, cry not
I love you, so ...*
No forget, never forget that
I will be your friend now-and-in-time-to-come

Originally:
Keep smiling, don't cry
I love you, that's why
Don't forget, forget it never
I will be your friend forever

But direct translations almost always fail. :P

*: Can't remember what those words mean. D:
Do you see why I wanna pick this up again?? I spent so much time creating the language, and I can't even read it anymore.

So, uhm... Yes, I did make it.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

lol, I made a language myself when I was 5 and could write AND speak it fluently. Sadly, I completely forgot about it! I named it after Final Fantasy 10's Al Bhed, but that's pretty much all I took from the language.

mentorso123
mentorso123
368 posts
Jester

AWESOME! I used to have my own world with massive wars and stuff. then, I decided to write movies.

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

@thoad:
Cool? A complete language, or just the phrases you needed?

@mentorso:
Having worlds is fun...
Write movies? Scripts? What kind?

*unfolds old and dirty, crumbled paper*
a you
ad shall
ado communication
ak will/want
am us/we
arr here
o off
ond darkness
orrth bring
oz with

*gets tired of typing*
That's a bit of Massel for you.

Gantic
Gantic
11,891 posts
King

This is interesting. The ones in Yaltan seem a little odd to me.

In the first Yaltan verse, some of it appears to be word-for-word translation preserving the English syntax while other parts are not (specifically in lines 1 and 3). As for the second Yaltan verse, I would say it that might not even be the same language but a dialect or another language with the same origin.

I would like to know the what fyhr and fyrah mean in Line 1 and Line 3. And what zz'gun in line 1 means.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

So, does it use English or Denmark(esse?) grammar? Because when creating a language, using the same grammar as a pre-existing language is not entirely accurate, but is generally much preferred by both the author and the reader.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

Cool? A complete language, or just the phrases you needed?

complete language, grammar, and alphabet. I lost the alphabet sheets and the common words though. lol.
Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

@Gantic:
Ki za Othot zz'gun zan Ignan fyhr weinahn from the Darkness will one Fire be woken
Za Chohn zehj za Ydahrnt zohnn lushun the King through the Shadows shall fall
Hinah fyrah Hrowan ayn ehn hindahn new become Hrowan(the world) that were/was thrashed/destroyed/broken
Za Naal charhn yy lai fu soha Vauhn the Ash brought to life by(I think(really need to find my dictionary)) his/hers(no gender specific) call/cry
Uhm... I'll continue this reply tomorrow when I can think... >.>

@Xzeno:
A mix of English and Danish, actually.

ArmorHero
ArmorHero
332 posts
Nomad

I love the Massel, it's very... complicated, wonder where you found the time to do that! :P

Zophia
Zophia
9,434 posts
Scribe

@Gantic again:
Fyhr/fyrah appears to be two different versions of be... O_o I REALLY need to find that dictionary and update it...
Zz'gun is a shortening of zzigun, which means will. As in I will, not willpower...
"As for the second Yaltan verse, I would say it that might not even be the same language but a dialect or another language with the same origin."
I wouldn't know. In theory, there's about thirty dialects of the language, but I work with it as if it was a unison. So yeah... May not always make sense. ^^;

@Xzeno again (because my connection timed out when I was typing yesterday):
I have blended the things I like best from Danish and English grammar, and simplified it a fair bit... It might grow more complex as I get the language developed more, but for now~

@thoad:
What a shame you lost it.

@ArmorHero:
I wonder to~
Oh, Massel... Fear the point at which I get time to show you the grammatical structure...

thrran-m'oz'do-drruno'm-warr
reason-I'and'them-leave'I-ties

See, there's a reason you don't translate that language directly.

thrr-words are generally questioning (except for thrranak, which means because), so the whole sentence is a question.

And now my head hurts... *glares at dictionary sheet* I said I was rusty with this, didn't I?

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

What a shame you lost it.

yeah, a big one. I discovered it was lost when my best graded class had an assignment that started of with "in your own words" so I was going to use Al Bhed because it wouldn't bring my grade down very much. I lost my alphabet sheets though. All I remember that I can do is my name. . . .I'll post a pic later of it, if your O.K. with that ^^
Showing 1-15 of 50