ForumsSupport ForumGame Spam Think Tank

50 6907
ArmorHero
ArmorHero
332 posts
Nomad

Alright, my BIGGEST pet peeve on this site is game comment spam. For whole pages all you see is 10/10, great, suxed, ^^. I mean no one posts anything constructive! What can we do about it?

• 50 Replies
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

That's the problem. That's the only thing we CAN do. The main reason is AP. I have thought of a beta idea for eliminating spam on the game idea, but many people thought of it as brutal. We can only flag, flag, flag, but almost every single user on AG will post game comments exactly like that, and for the sole purpose of nabbing AP.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Thank god comments only give 2 AP. This makes me want to change it down to 0 AP or something.

But everyone else is right, flag each comment a couple of times, report a game to a mod, and yeah....

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

This makes me want to change it down to 0 AP or something.

Posting that made me want to give away my beta idea:

Game comments would be 0 AP, the forum posts will be 2 ap instead of one, and rating a game would remain 2. Spammers would (hopefully) shift their spam other than the game comments, such as users' profiles, and the forums. The forum posts are out in the open and can easily be seen by users and moderators alike. In the users' profile, it would be luck to have someone spam on your profile, in which case you can simply and promptly delete it. The only power as we normal users is that we can delete our own comments on our about page (thank the lords).

Yes, for many people, this would hurt if this was implemented, but that's why I wanted to convert the forum posts to 2 ap, as stated the above reason why. Those game comments are mostly for reviews, and since the spam would dissipate from the games, more reviewers would post their criticisms on those comments, they will be seen easier by moderators, and reviews will have a higher success rating. There are many pros to this con, and I'm sort of wondering if this can work. Any other cons/pros you can find out fellow users?
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Let's just ignore him Sodis, he's new. Now then, how's everyone feel about my master plan that took 14 hours to put together?

ArmorHero
ArmorHero
332 posts
Nomad

It really does stink, knowing all yo can do is flag! I mean, there is waaaaay to many comments like that to be flagged! The Mods/Admins would be too busy! It's always there!

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Seems like the only way to make this problem less worse is to get more mods. But it's more serious than that...

ArmorHero
ArmorHero
332 posts
Nomad

I know! They should defiantly change the AP, maybe 2 AP for every 5 game comments? That wouldn't end the spam but it might make less...

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Don't you think the same thread was already created?The answer is simple Armor_Hero just do as you said.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Game comments would be 0 AP, the forum posts will be 2 ap instead of one, and rating a game would remain 2. Spammers would (hopefully) shift their spam other than the game comments, such as users' profiles, and the forums. The forum posts are out in the open and can easily be seen by users and moderators alike. In the users' profile, it would be luck to have someone spam on your profile, in which case you can simply and promptly delete it. The only power as we normal users is that we can delete our own comments on our about page (thank the lords).

Yes, for many people, this would hurt if this was implemented, but that's why I wanted to convert the forum posts to 2 ap, as stated the above reason why. Those game comments are mostly for reviews, and since the spam would dissipate from the games, more reviewers would post their criticisms on those comments, they will be seen easier by moderators, and reviews will have a higher success rating. There are many pros to this con, and I'm sort of wondering if this can work. Any other cons/pros you can find out fellow users?

Please tell me you at least read this and gave it some thought... Because it looks to me that you guys didn't.. >_> You guys are posting wierd kinds of ideas.
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

If you looked at my link comment thread, it would be useful for situations like this.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I know! They should defiantly change the AP, maybe 2 AP for every 5 game comments? That wouldn't end the spam but it might make less...

Hm let me think.....
The less AP spammers get more rating games the more they will start to spam on profiles and forums.

I think the system right now is the most etiquette but hard to flag all those "10/10 good game" comments.

I think that the best way to stop spam is to contribute on flagging and reporting.
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I guess spam will be unstoppable.But the spammers just waste their life.Oh well that's the way they live.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Fire_Tail, all you did was give a link for your profile, showing that you have locked comments... What good will this do for the game comments? I'm guessing no one likes mine.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

No, no, not that link. It's another thread in the S & S section that I just dug up.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

People don't even bother to flag, or vote up. And even if they do, they flag/vote up the first 5 comments seen, the don't even press the all comments link.

I flag almost everything. I can trust if the mod who checks it thinks it is spam, then it will be deleted. If the mod doesn't then no harm done.

Game comments would be 0 AP, the forum posts will be 2 ap instead of one, and rating a game would remain 2. Spammers would (hopefully) shift their spam other than the game comments, such as users' profiles, and the forums.

This is like the electric car debacle. Just shifting the pollution to another source. but this will also lead to "legitimate" spam. Proper posts, but many more of them at shorter intervals that pass just above the spam marker. Spam is more likely locked than deleted, so the user will retain his/her points, be warned, and possibly make more "legitimate" posts.
Showing 1-15 of 50