ForumsProgramming ForumArtist looking for AS advisor

3 2712
Rollie
Rollie
12 posts
Nomad

Hey, working on a new game project with a reasonably complex build to the movie-clips, and some tough AS required. I've made a decent amount of the game art and enemies, but I want some advice on optimising the sprites to be work-friendly for a programmer who will take the files.

All I need is people to look at this and see if they think they could work with it:

Basically it's an old-school slash'em'up with some new generation controls, like the Nintendo DS. The WASD keys climb, step and jump, and mouse movements in directions to slash different heights and effect. Similar to Games like Zelda or Star Wars Forced Unleashed.
The backgrounds are .pngs made in Photoshop and the sprites are fbf animations. Would all this be quite laggy if made in AS 2.0 or older flash players?

• 3 Replies
dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

Ask the programmer what their preference is for the graphical hierarchy.

I can't give you an estimate for efficiency in as2 as you have not provided any important data. Graphics aren't usually a big concern, but rather how many passes you're making per frame.

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

From what I have read, AS3 can run up to 10 times as fast as AS2 code, and the change shouldn't be too drastic.

Are there any statistics anywhere of what percentage of computers are running older versions of flash?

I am currently learning AS3, but I have a history in VB.Net and 3D modeling. If there is anything I can help with, I would be willing to help you out part time. Sadly, I have a lot on my plate helping my parents with their business, so I can't devote all my time to your project. However, now and then I would be happy to help. I'm usually very free on weekends.

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

Just to clarify, by "change shouldn't be too drastic", I meant, changing over from your experience in AS2 to learning AS3 shouldn't be too hard.

And if you have gotten to the point where you write AS2 as fluently as you speak, and therefore don't think when you code, Flash notifies you of most things that need to be changed, such as "OnFrame is no longer supported by Action Script. Use 'blablabla' instead."

Showing 1-3 of 3