ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60073
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
DivineDarkness
DivineDarkness
1,226 posts
Nomad

I think they should have the right to search a locker, just not dig through everything, such as taking a back-pack out and dumping its contents on the floor, that would make me angry. But what do I care, I don't go to school anymore

Green12324
Green12324
4,099 posts
Peasant

The lockers belong to the school anyway, so as long as they don't go through your property it is fine.

My school doesn't make us sign anything, although they don't exactly search them. They have the dogs come in from time to time and if they smelled drugs or something they would call the student into the office.

Infantryman123
Infantryman123
138 posts
Nomad

Usually in my school we just have a locker check and the teacher glances at the locker just to see if everything is in order.

napolian654321
napolian654321
922 posts
Nomad

Of course there should be a right. Realy its the school's lockers not the students. To search for weapons and drugs or something like that is definately the right way to go.

Sarthra21
Sarthra21
1,079 posts
Nomad

So long as the children are told, it doesnt cross the 4th.

DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

yep, totally because they are in a public school funded by the government, this is to prevent bad things from happening. Plus most schools will now make you sign a waver that says, you have to let them search your locker or backpack if they have reasonable suspicion that you have the items/intent to harm other students.

Craze77
Craze77
813 posts
Peasant

Yes, I think that public schools have the right to search lockers. I would say no if i carried stuff that you werent supposed to have in my locker.

Futuro
Futuro
108 posts
Nomad

Yes, I think that public schools have the right to search lockers. I would say no if i carried stuff that you werent supposed to have in my locker.

Why would you say that. That is just like taking a right away from children. They have no reason to search someones locker unless they have a warrant on the kid. They have to have something that would prove the kid has something wrong in his locker. If they don't, then they shouldn't touch the kids locker. It is he own personal place to keep his things.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Why would you say that. That is just like taking a right away from children. They have no reason to search someones locker unless they have a warrant on the kid. They have to have something that would prove the kid has something wrong in his locker. If they don't, then they shouldn't touch the kids locker. It is he own personal place to keep his things.

no, technically schools are allowed to search your locker if you goto a public school, to ensure the safety of the students.
Futuro
Futuro
108 posts
Nomad

no, technically schools are allowed to search your locker if you goto a public school, to ensure the safety of the students.

What happens if you don't go to a public school, like me. I have the right to protect me locker. If someone wants to go in there, they have to have permission. Most people go to a public school and I will give you that, but what about the other kids that don't. The teachers/students/adults have no right going threw kids lockers.
Somers
Somers
1,532 posts
Nomad

have the right to protect me locker.

No, its not yours. Its the schools. First off, you shouldnt have anything worth confiscating. Unless, well i dont know...in my school were allowed to carry knives...so were not as harsh on some things.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

What happens if you don't go to a public school, like me. I have the right to protect me locker. If someone wants to go in there, they have to have permission. Most people go to a public school and I will give you that, but what about the other kids that don't. The teachers/students/adults have no right going threw kids lockers.

many private schools, when you goto them (I goto one) they have you sign consent waivers of many different things, and usually they have a clause where they are allowed to search a student's locker under the school's jurisdiction (not government) and prosecute you under school laws (again not normal governmental laws because it doesn't receive government money).
Vixen
Vixen
52 posts
Nomad

I don't have a problem with people going through kids' lockers. After all, if they don't have anything to hide, why would they get so defensive about it? If you don't want certain things to be seen... then here's an idea.

Hide them somewhere not totally obvious. Or better yet, don't bring them at all. Seriously. They're freaken school lockers. At school, you don't get rights, and if you do, then you're pretty lucky. I'm a kid in high school, but it drives me insane when my classmates act like they have some special rights and are all self-righteous. Life isn't fair. You're gonna get your stuff searched all your life, not just in school. Deal with it.

Futuro
Futuro
108 posts
Nomad

don't have a problem with people going through kids' lockers. After all, if they don't have anything to hide, why would they get so defensive about it? If you don't want certain things to be seen... then here's an idea

Well, some people care about other going threw their personal belongings, It is their stuff so why do other want to go threw it. As I said before, unless the have proof of the kid having something illegal/bad, then they can search all they want.
DDX
DDX
3,562 posts
Nomad

Well, some people care about other going threw their personal belongings, It is their stuff so why do other want to go threw it. As I said before, unless the have proof of the kid having something illegal/bad, then they can search all they want.

They are only allowed to search lockers if they have reasonable doubt. Again this is a little hazy, but if they can present enough evidence if they are brought to a grand jury, they will be always acquitted. The first thing a school has to do is protect the students and provide a safe learning environment.
Showing 151-165 of 273