ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60227
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

The random times is to prevent the students from knowing that their coming, so that they do get caught, instead of leaving it at home that day.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

My university does this at random times, but my high school did it twice every quarter, but at random days of that range. I sometimes pass by lockers and get some horrid stench coming from one of them, so I requested another locker search to the Dean, and of course, a person was caught, in the exact locker I took a wiff from.

thepossum
thepossum
3,037 posts
Nomad

I think that they have the right to search lockers. They do it at my school and the lockers are school property. Plus, no-one should be worried because you wouldn't hide anything in your locker that isn't supposed to be there, RIGHT?

thewilddingo
thewilddingo
49 posts
Nomad

nice point..(bows) lol i agree

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

Ehh lockers are for school property, not drugs :-$

kris1027
kris1027
506 posts
Nomad

Lockers belong to the schools not to the people who use them simple as that. In same schools the school itself actually gives you the lock on the locker. There is really no expectation of privacy when you are borrowing an establishments property.

LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
LiL_GaNgSta_BlAzE
2,283 posts
Jester

If they [school] think that there is something dangerous or "bad" in the locker, then sure as hell go right ahead. They should have full controle and permission to saerch lockers.

But if they just want to do rutine check-ups then well there should be a consent or something along the lines of that. So you know no matter the parent's "harsh" words or the students veiws, they would have the permission.

I can tell you now, that if one student shot another, and it was found that he had a wepon in the locker, parents would blame the school for not haveing rutine checkups :P

ParalysisTerror
ParalysisTerror
793 posts
Nomad

People should have full rights to search lockers just in case somebody has a dangerous weapon or something.

MsterXantos
MsterXantos
438 posts
Nomad

I think they should at my school thsi one dufus knew they were going to search his locker so he takes sugar in a bag and wqraps it in a coat so they thinks it's drugs so he gets in trouble adn the police test it well that's thed only bad part i can think of about searching lockers. But we have had lots of kids with knives caught most tried to claim they were for self defense.

Binary_Illusion
Binary_Illusion
300 posts
Jester

The schools have the right to search they're own property. Your locker is the school's property. Thats why when you vandalize a locker your vandalizing school property.
Don't take anything to school you don't want searched, or taken away. I take my flash drive, but it's encrypted, and has a self destruct feature(literally) It's called an Iron Key. They are the best! Did I mention I'm a computer geek :S

And I bet somewhere in those forms you fill out when you sign up have something mentioning locker/person searching. you just don't see it because really who is going to read like 100 pages or law?

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

schools have the right to search,once you step on there campus *Swoop* there goes your privacy.when they told me that i was like "Gay,where am i gonna put my smuggled kittens now" but yeah..and also cameras,theyre allowed to watch those as well.

seize_the_element
seize_the_element
757 posts
Shepherd

First of all, is this aimed at AG itself or the people of AG?
At our school or lockers aren't actually lockers, they're cupboards with doors. It's all part of our trust thing.

njarvis10
njarvis10
110 posts
Nomad

I think they should still have the right of busting into lockers.I mean,the lockers are the school's anyway.

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

First of all, is this aimed at AG itself or the people of AG?
At our school or lockers aren't actually lockers, they're cupboards with doors. It's all part of our trust thing

its the people..

and i think they should have the right to serach lockers,but before that they should have to own our consent.
PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

I think this is more of an issue in the USA than where I'm from... but the lockers are owned by the school, and students simply borrow them. This gives the school the right to inspect if they see such a thing fit.

On the other hand, if there are students who really want to practice illegal activities, they will find a way anyway.

Showing 16-30 of 273