ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60075
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

I think that they have a right to search your lockers. Personally, I only keep my school stuff in mine, everything else I carry in my backpack.

Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

But the stuff in the locker is yours, so...

Yes, but you're still basically using the space that the school provides. If people weren't dumb enough to keep a gun or drugs in a locker, we wouldn't have this problem in the first place.
Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

The school has a right, only if there have been cases of mishap, like someone is smuggling pot or knifes/guns illegal stuff.
Yeah, but the couldn't just search everyone because they don't know who it is.

Yes, but you're still basically using the space that the school provides.
Yeah, same as a landlord. It still doesn't give them the right to search you, or your stuff, or your rented space without due process of law.
Zootsuit_riot
Zootsuit_riot
1,523 posts
Nomad

Yeah, same as a landlord.

With an apartment, you PAY for the right to that privacy. A school is owned and paid for by the state government; you don't HAVE to use a locker while you're there, but they give you the option.

It still doesn't give them the right to search you, or your stuff, or your rented space without due process of law.

Most schools probably don't actually go into the lockers unless there's serious suspicion; chances are they'll go through with dogs, or go in based on a report from a teacher or student that sees suspicious behavior.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

You have no personal freedoms in school.

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

With an apartment, you PAY for the right to that privacy.
No, you pay to use the space, the right to privacy is free.
you don't HAVE to use a locker while you're there, but they give you the option.
...but that fact in no way compromises the fact that they can't search you without due process of law.

Most schools probably don't actually go into the lockers unless there's serious suspicion;
Most, probably not, but the few that do should get in serious trouble. Also, what do you mean by 'serious suspicion'?
Talo
Talo
945 posts
Nomad

It's not YOUR locker it's the school's. You are just storing your books there. If you have anything valuable, keep it on yourself or don't take it to school. If you aren't guilty you shouldn't be concerned.

orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

It's not YOUR locker it's the school's. You are just storing your books there. If you have anything valuable, keep it on yourself or don't take it to school. If you aren't guilty you shouldn't be concerned.

I agree with Talo. It is the school's locker, and you shouldn't really be bringing anything valuable to school at all.
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

The supports of the opposite sides seem to be arguing on two different points.

While one says that schools CURRENTLY do have the right to search your locker -- as in, just that the current law prohibits them to, the other side insists on a political level that schools shouldn't have that right.

One puts in the knowledge that whether they agree or not, schools are allowed to search locker. The other argues that they shouldn't.

I dont see how a reasonable discussion can go on

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

I think I see where a misunderstanding is occurring. When a school allows you to use a locker, you and they are entering a contract similar to a lease. If that weren't the case, they could get you for trespassing whenever they felt like. But that is the case, so you are entitled to the same right to privacy had you rented the locker.

If you aren't guilty you shouldn't be concerned.
What if the government could, hypothetically, read minds, say - 100 years from now. Would you mind if they read your mind just because you might be dangerous? After all, if your not guilty, you shouldn't mind, right?
orion732
orion732
617 posts
Nomad

What if the government could, hypothetically, read minds, say - 100 years from now. Would you mind if they read your mind just because you might be dangerous? After all, if your not guilty, you shouldn't mind, right?

Good point.
KoolFace
KoolFace
359 posts
Nomad

The goverment could never be allowed to do that openly.
Why?
It enfringes upon our right of privacy.

I understand the school wanted to search lockers an that is their progaitive an right, but anything that is privately owned an seperated from the public cannot be searched or tamped with without a warrant.
nichodemus
nichodemus
14,981 posts
Grand Duke

The school owns the lockers, they have a right to open them. The maintainence chief at my school has the master keys. It's just a precaution.

Merciless_Mercenary
Merciless_Mercenary
446 posts
Nomad

like that movie minority report??

When you enroll to a certain school you submit yourself to their rules and regulations. It sucks but still it's life.If you don't like it don't go to school.

note: The only place you have true privacy is in your mind. Lets just pray that someone will not invent a mind reading device any time soon.

Some people (powerful people) don't care about anyone's privacy if it threatens their position and their way of life.

Simple solution... don't bring personal/private stuff you don't want others to see to school. Searching lockers just in case someone has a gun in theirs is reasonable. I wouldn't want one of my school mates to go on a killing spree just because his/her personal problems became unbearable. Some stupid jerks should stop bullying its what triggers their acts of desperation in the first place.
jjrocks66
jjrocks66
913 posts
Shepherd

they should search the lockers to make sure the school is sfe and what would make you more unhappy a dead or drugadicted son or an annoyed son.

Showing 121-135 of 273