ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60072
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
thewilddingo
thewilddingo
49 posts
Nomad

i think they should make the kids fill out a orm before they search so that they ca't get sued and the kids can't get mad...then every1 is ahappy

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

It should definitely be used. Right from the start, schools have been hammering on to the students about "only put into the locker what is necessary and not personal belongings or valuables, because they will get stolen!". Thinking about this, you would assume that this student would have and has nothing to hide in his/her locker. This is VERY NECESSARY, to prevent the use of weapons/drugs, one of the main purpose of school functions is to make the student become a smart, clean, and respectful individual, or as much as possible of the three. For those students and parents that think its an invasion of privacy, it was the reason above that they should think again about this matter.

thewilddingo
thewilddingo
49 posts
Nomad

it will be kinda obvious if the person has something to have..these ppl are criminals (well good ones)...also many schools have police so this sort of thing shouldn't happen if the cop is watchful

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

thewilddingo Said

i think they should make the kids fill out a orm before they search so that they ca't get sued and the kids can't get mad...then every1 is ahappy

I'm not sure that I am reading you right. The question is "Should the schools opening and searching lockers and belongings, like purses, book bags, jackets, etc. be allowed." I don't know if you misread the question or what.
thewilddingo
thewilddingo
49 posts
Nomad

ignore my 2nd post..i typed it wrong so it sounds like im evil a bit lol

thewilddingo
thewilddingo
49 posts
Nomad

i think they shouldnt unless teh kid says they can and/or they have proof that they have drugs or other items there

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

it will be kinda obvious if the person has something to have..these ppl are criminals (well good ones)...also many schools have police so this sort of thing shouldn't happen if the cop is watchful

Almost all of the students could have entered school with backpacks/purses/sports bags. They would have no clue about the contents of those bags, so again, this rule about searching lockers and belongings is necessary, also the main reason is to not come to school with things you don't want to have stolen/checked. If you have drugs/weapons, leave them at home.
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Good point, but remember, the supreme court ruled that they must have probable cause to search through belongings, so they legally just randomly take someone's bag and rummage through it.

thewilddingo
thewilddingo
49 posts
Nomad

reading it again i completely disagree with the supreme court... ignore all of my other posts rotfl

but seriously is this comon??i have never heard or seen of this

thewilddingo
thewilddingo
49 posts
Nomad

rotfl i thought it said "not" have the right to search lol..im such a screw-up

thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

thewilddingo said

but seriously is this comon??i have never heard or seen of this

Yeah, it is. This happens all the time in my school. It is so bad that they have police with drug- sniffing dogs come in at random times throughout the year. Now, do you think that is legal?
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Good point, but remember, the supreme court ruled that they must have probable cause to search through belongings, so they legally just randomly take someone's bag and rummage through it.

As for weapons, that would be hard to search. But as for drugs, these are easy to spot, because of its smell (if it's strong enough), and that the police would randomly get dogs to go search the lockers. If it barks, there are drugs in the locker and the police have the right to open the locker and search through every single thread of that locker to obtain that drug.

But like I said, the students should be smart enough to leave their valuables at home. There should be no reason whatsoever that they would be protesting about this rule, unless of course they are paranoid about getting caught. It is necessary to save lives and to stray away from major influences.
thewilddingo
thewilddingo
49 posts
Nomad

ok it is 1 thing for cops but...dogs?? this should be illegal (the dogs part)

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

How is that? Humans have a poor sense of smell compared to dogs. Dogs can smell drugs 1 mile away (slight exaggeration) if they are properly trained to do it. If we didn't have dogs to do the job, the drug-finding success rate would plummet drastically, and those students that are responsible for holding the drugs would get away with holding them. Dogs are a necessity for taking away drugs from minors.

thewilddingo
thewilddingo
49 posts
Nomad

yes but random times..id udnerstand if it was like 1 time a quarter

Showing 1-15 of 273