ForumsWEPRRight to search Lockers?

273 60074
thepyro222
thepyro222
2,151 posts
Peasant

Here's one that will get the AG forum going...

As a precautionary system, many schools across the nation have been searching lockers to eliminate the school of weapons and drugs that the students had. The schools had probable cause, meaning that they did have some piece of evidence that says that particular person had illegal objects. This caused an outrage with students and parents alike, saying that this was an invasion of the student's privacy. This case was taken to the supreme court, who ruled that the schools did have the right to search.

Now, what does AG think?

• 273 Replies
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Well, if you are only borrowing the locker, it is just a place for you to use, but you have no authority over that space. Much like borrowing a room at your friends house for a week. Sure, you might have your personal stuff there, but his mother would probably still vacuumclean it or something.

Plaxi17
Plaxi17
229 posts
Nomad

no, because it can be completely embarassing, yet completely non-threatning...

Plaxi17
Plaxi17
229 posts
Nomad

(that last one was in response to jonny) but cenere, they encourage you to buy a lock, so its like staying at ur friends room, and putting up a lock that protects it with the permission from his mom...

jonnypants23
jonnypants23
1,353 posts
Farmer

I dont think its fair. Its your personal space, my locker is full of stuff that i like, i dont want some person i dont know or like rifling through my stuff.

Hahaha.. your persinal space should be at home man.And if you have stuff that you like in you locker why does it matter a COP or teacher checks your locker.

Your freinds or kids you dont like are not going to go through your locker and look at the stuff you like
And what are you talking about
its not fair

please dont be such baby about this.If you object about this you are probily hiding somthing.(thats my opppion)
Plaxi17
Plaxi17
229 posts
Nomad

or, maybe its just stuff i dont want parents seeing, because theyre nosy freaks.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

uh no, i worry all the time, because i sometimes keep personal info about home stuff, my life, and my friends personal stuff in my locker. Its your locker.. hence should be treated like your own. You even agreed the YMCA is for community...aren't schools meant for the community too? All the time you hear about how their for the community of caring, or sum bs like that. It's your locker, and your stuff is in there. You could have a pr1ck teacher who steals some of your stuff with these locker checks.

All this privacy stuff would be gone if you have just left all your belongings at home. What do you need of it in school? There is a difference between school lockers and public lockers in the community.

Now then, you never did ever object about the drug dogs. Why should you be worried AT ALL, if they use drug dogs, and you have no drugs? That doesn't make any sense. They only rummage through lockers that have drugs, so unless you have drugs in your locker (I wish you didn't), then you should be zero-percent paranoid. I'm guessing you're going to say something about dogs being an invasion of privacy too?
Plaxi17
Plaxi17
229 posts
Nomad

They shouldnt get to open it unless a dog sniffs the outside and smells drugs, at which point everything is fair game.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Exactly what I was trying to get through! That's what the police are trained, paid, and employed to do! I don't even know if police do locker checks without drug dogs (stated in page 2 for reasons)! They can do this in school lockers, but the community public lockers of course, cannot be done. Is everyone happy now??

Plaxi17
Plaxi17
229 posts
Nomad

Werent we talking about opening, THEN letting dog sniff? thats what i thought.... :P

nonconformist
nonconformist
1,101 posts
Nomad

I understand about policemen bringing in dogs to sniff lockers, but once that happens.... all the druggies will find other places to store em. Pockets, cars, classrooms (in hiding places). In fact most ppl dont hide drugs in their lockers for that reason. Instead they hide guns, knives, etc... Which would mean dogs would have no help and police would have to check it themselves... That person whos locker smelt rlly bad, well lets just say he's quite stupid, cuz it would need to be quite a bit of wat ever drug he had (prob over 20g) in order for it to smell that bad. But ya dogs would be ok. That is why i never objected to it.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

That's why getting caught with drugs is a lighter penalty than getting caught with weapons, because dogs can't really do anything about that. Poor freshman college student got caught just today, it just goes to show you can't judge a person by his personality anymore...

thedemonlord
thedemonlord
26 posts
Nomad

i agree. if its for safety reasons parents shouldnt complain.

windshift
windshift
320 posts
Nomad

Of course the kids should be searched whenever the school wants to..

I mean if you have nothing to hide then what is the problem..I mean if you have something like your diary in there..Or a photo of your girlfriend and you don't want peeps seeing it..Keep it at home..

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

nstead they hide guns, knives, etc... Which would mean dogs would have no help and police would have to check it themselves...

Definition #2 of In-Service Days. =) I don't know, that's the only thing I could think of. Well, usually when people have drugs, there's a 2/10 chance they have weapons concealed too, so it's almost a win-win situation. Where I'm pulling this number out of, I have no clue.
jonnypants23
jonnypants23
1,353 posts
Farmer

maybe its just stuff i dont want parents seeing, because theyre nosy freaks.

Paxi not only do you make no sense at all, and not only everyone proves you wrong,you just keep on going dont you.

O yes and your parents are trying to protect you.They maybe noisy but hey come on there parents they want whats best for you man.
Showing 46-60 of 273