ForumsSupport ForumPrivate Messaging

21 3670
ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

So far, everything on Armorgames is in my favor, and I love it. I was wondering if we could have a box for private messaging. I mean, for example take Binary Illusion's problem with trying to get to Plokkey with his comment board closed. He was trying to share important info for Armorwiki. I'm pretty sure that he didn't want anyone else to see those pictures. So if we had a private messenger, we could give these posts privately.

These posts could be deleted or reported if inappropriate, and Administrators can look through other user's private messaging when they feel like it is necessary.

• 21 Replies
crazynaitor
crazynaitor
2,612 posts
Jester

This has been suggested many times but I think we should have it I want to tell Estel so something but not in the open!I like the idea but as I said it was suggested before.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I already suggested this a long time ago and the answer was no because it had to deal with privacy which isn't a big thing.

Carly13
Carly13
66 posts
Nomad

Why couldn't you just use e-mail?You all needed an e-mail to sign up use that for Private Messaging.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Why couldn't you just use e-mail?You all needed an e-mail to sign up use that for Private Messaging.

Yes that's what the mods/admins told me.Problem fixed.
Carly13
Carly13
66 posts
Nomad

Yes that's what the mods/admins told me.Problem fixed.

Well then isn't that the answer from Juan?I guess topic should be closed.
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Actually form you.And yes I'll ask a mod to lock this if possible.

ulimitedpower
ulimitedpower
1,739 posts
Nomad

(Back on again)

But for now, you have to use e-mails for private messaging

What happens if you can't find the other person's mail address.

I already suggested this a long time ago and the answer was no because it had to deal with privacy which isn't a big thing.

Ooooppps, had no idea. Thanks for telling me. MY word, you must have a long memory.

I would like to state a question: Say you want to do the way Mr tim said, but you don't know the address of the other. You ask them for it, but they don't want to let everyone else see their Email Address to prevent spammers. How the heck do they share without everyone seeing?

Perhaps if we made the private messaging 0 points and not mentioned. The mods and admins would have no restriction to looking at these private messages, and can view them at any time. People can lock it until they want someone to go to it and contact them.

Ulimitedpower
juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Well the solution to that is that YOU give them their e-mail.Or they can comment you and tell it to you and as soon as you read it you delete it.

MY word, you must have a long memory.

The memory of an elephant.You must always be ready.
Generalhero
Generalhero
396 posts
Farmer

well i think it would only slow down the site
useless

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

It would be WAY too much to handle,and plus thats jst one thing,theres things called e-mails that are basically our very own private messenger.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Some people may not be so inclined to give someone else their email address. An account is expendable. It is another buffer between a person and themself that is more directly moderated. If the other person starts acting inappropriately, the mods can't take care of that.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Knowing this topic will probably get locked for having been brought up before, I still think I'll share my opinion...

Sure, e-mails are a way of PM'ing. But it requires that you log in on another site, you have the risk of being spammed outside the reach of the moderators (so you're all on your own), and... Well, is just thoroughly more troublesome if you are one of the people who don't check their mail account regularly.
I for one, don't.
PMs are a great tool, really. I tend to get a bit lost in all the comments on my profile, it would be really nice to have PMs on the site so I could respond more quickly to the right persons...
And yes, there is of course a risk of spam, but that is easily solved with a block user feature (I know, we're all still waiting for that to work for profiles, but yeah), and I think the pros outweighs the cons for having it...

But I'm not going to complain about not having it. There ARE alternatives (e-mail, MSN, other instant messaging services) to private conversation...
Would really love to have PMs here, though. Would be so much easier to joke with Strop that way(...).

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Ok ok, I looked at all your posts and everything, and it seems that spamming is the issue with PMs.

How about having only your friends have the privilege of PMing you? PMing would have the same as 2AP, they will be hidden from stranger users, and if they DO spam you, you will still have the power to delete those messages.

You have to ask that user for the e-mail, if strangers see that E-mail, they will constantly spam you with no protection from the moderators, and you could never get them to stop. (although I think G-mail blocks others, but I'm not certain.)

So, with my modification added, I guess the issue of spam would just be dropped with the PMing deal. Would this be OK?

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

I think this PM thing only deals with privacy.We have bigger problems than that don't you think.If we do have it i think it should be no AP?

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Well... I don't know... Yes, moderators have to look at 2 different sections of the comments, but yes, they are very similar.

I'm sort of iffy on the AP part. They are two messaging systems but they are the same thing basically, except for private conversations... maybe 1AP like the forums?

Showing 1-15 of 21