ForumsSupport Forum[Citation needed]

8 1757
Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Can I be flippant and suggest there there be a [citation needed] button that puts [citation needed] in blue text? Could be useful for the "World Events, Politics, Religion, Etc." board. If not, well, this can be locked.

• 8 Replies
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Sorry, but my mind is very numb right now, can you explain to me what a citation is?

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

I dont think it is necessary,if users take the time and read important stickies then no fraud or "Fraud" would occur..so if users take there time and read and actually learn there is no need for that right now,there has not been any cases against AG so no,sorry.

Binary_Illusion
Binary_Illusion
300 posts
Jester

A citation if I'm correct is like an index. i.e. you click on a link, and it will go to that part on the page. i.e. the bottom of the page link on your profile it's based on the #comments it redirects you page to that specific word on that page.

It would be a nice addition. but if you have Firefox just press ctrl+f and type in the word you want to find, and it will find it for you

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

A citation if I'm correct is like an index. i.e. you click on a link, and it will go to that part on the page. i.e. the bottom of the page link on your profile it's based on the #comments it redirects you page to that specific word on that page.
It would be a nice addition. but if you have Firefox just press ctrl+f and type in the word you want to find, and it will find it for you

in the world events and etc.., it tells you you must give a lnik to the page where you found yor proof.

i.e.

"Obama kjbaskjbasjkb"

you get the info somewhere else and you dont give a link to the page where you got your info is fruad..notjust AG,but everywhere.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

(Wikipedia moment)

We usually tell users to have their facts straight, and moderators sometimes edit the users' posts if they feel they need to. But when we normal users have no edit privilege, we couldn't be able to edit our posts anyways!

InTheZone
InTheZone
562 posts
Bard

It's basically backing up your information/writing with actual sources/proof. It's the main reason why everyone busts Wikipedia's chops (even though it is a relatively good source of information >.&gt

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

(uncyclopedia.org is NOT a good source of info!)

But in all seriousness though, we really can't use this idea, not because we don't, but because we don't have the power to edit our own posts.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Alright, so no one is geek enough to get the reference. Citation needed does originate from Wikipedia, but that's not what I'm getting at.

When using [citation needed], you quote the user and place citation needed after what needs citation.

We usually tell users to have their facts straight
[citation needed]

or inline:

uncyclopedia.org is NOT a good source of info![citation needed]

It's specific. It's succinct.
Showing 1-8 of 8