ForumsProgramming ForumFirst game rough draft critique

13 4369
kcaz
kcaz
59 posts
Nomad

Ok so I've made a little game, it will be a Tower Defense, and I have a lot of work to do. I'm working on graphics now, but what do you think?

Of corse the gold is 1000 just for testing, and the lives are displayed in a box, at the top of the screen, and the graphics are awful and I have only made 2 upgrades, so by no means is this a final product, but before i continue, what do you think?

The game can be found here:

• 13 Replies
Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

The link is not working for me

kcaz
kcaz
59 posts
Nomad

Ok W/e i was being very dumb anyway, the game is not anywhere near finished, and it is just a very basic outline, idk why i put it up...

Shadowmas73r
Shadowmas73r
6 posts
Nomad

First of all: Correct link is found HERE

Hi Kcaz, I think the base of the game is allright, but you might want to tweak some things though (beside the graphics).

First: The range of the towers is really big, it shouldn't be to hard to fix that.
Second: Moving your mouse all the way to the other side of the screen after pressing "Upgrade" just isn't logical. For instance let the "Buy/Sell/Upgrade menu" change into the "Body/Torso/Arms/Cancel Menu"
Third: Try to put something original into your game, otherwise it will be just another tower defense. Players want original games, so just give it that big change only you can give.
Fourth: You might consider this as a graphics issue, in that case don't mind my comment. But if you don't: Try to make the (corner) animations of the creature's more smooth.
Fifth: The waves aren't getting stronger are they?

I hope you can use my comments. Good luck with it.

jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

It would be better if it was more user friendly and had instructions...
you also need to be able to deselect a tower...presently the only way to remove the selection is to click on another one...it would be good if you made it so that if you click on the grass, the tower would be deselected...
Everything else I could think of is said in Shadowmas73r's post

Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

None of the links worked for me. Is it just me?

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

links didnt work for me either

midget2
midget2
576 posts
Nomad

freehostia.com? that what im getting and theres no game

jonnypants23
jonnypants23
1,353 posts
Farmer

Weres the game lol?

jpx111
jpx111
264 posts
Nomad

here's the link people:

http://ard-futurewars.freehostia.com/Tower%20Defense(working).swf

plokkey
plokkey
4,571 posts
Jester

I didn't have much trouble with it it was a great start. What I would like to see are more descriptions added to the tower. Uh I forgot what else I was going to say....

haYnguy
haYnguy
30 posts
Nomad

very nice start. i see a lot of potential.

Raistlin847
Raistlin847
270 posts
Nomad

Well, would would clean up the graphics, they are a little blurry, also when you click on a tower your stuck selecting it, which should be changed. Also maybe zoom it out a bit as it seems a bit in your face. Other then that it seems to be coming along nicely, good job.

PixelSmash
PixelSmash
566 posts
Nomad

As an addition to what raistlin said... you keep selecting your tower once you've placed it, which is rather annoying... it would be a big improvement if you were dragging a new dot This way you can add a row of dots with hardly as much effort as it is now!

Also, where you can and can't place the dots is somewhat vague in terms of it's reflection on the graphics. When you drag a new building over a non-placeable area, all that happens is that the alpha is faded a bit... tinting it would be a better idea Or flashing brightly red, or something like that... indicating this event more obviously, in any case.

Ofcourse there's still the graphics, but like you yourself said it's far from finished, so that shouldn't be a problem. It does seem to have quite some potential, so keep it up!

Showing 1-13 of 13