ForumsNewcomers Forum

Merit Questions Answered

Thread Locked

Posted Nov 10, '08 at 3:04pm

Binary_Illusion

Binary_Illusion

310 posts

Welcome to Armor Games Newcomers!

This will be a guide on how to get merits(what is needed), how you actually receive them(who gives them out), and anything else about
Merits.

What is a merit?
A merit is a reward. Not a given. In other words don't ask for a merit.
A merit is a reward worth 25AP(Armor Points) It's the biggest amount of points you can receive on Armor Games at one time.

Who can give someone a Merit?
There are two people. The moderators, and Administrators.

What is the purpose of a merit?
There are two main purposes of a merit. One is to reward a user on his/her efforts to help out the game developer.
And that leads to the next purpose. The second purpose of a merit is to help the game developer. He/she wants positive criticism, and to know what people liked, and didn't like. this is so that he/she can improve upon the game.

How do I receive a merit?
By not asking!
Never ask. It greatly diminishes your chances of receiving one.
You get a merit one of two ways. One is for giving a detailed review of a game. You should cover all of the major things, and use proper grammar, and spelling... (We will cover what you should cover in order receive a merit later on.)
The other way is to compete in a contest in the Forums and win. If a moderator is running the contest, he/she might be giving a merit
away as a reward.

What is wanted in a Merit?

.::this us solely based upon common sense, and my experiences::.

Basically most moderators want four main things.
They want what you liked, and what you disliked about the game, and why. Because it is important to know what people liked, and disliked(for the game developer). Another thing to include would be Who you would suggest that particular game to(i.e. RPG, Fantasy,
action gamers). I like to include a warning there too. Like if the game has excessive swearing, or blood I warn gamers. the last thing to include would be your overall rating of the game, and why you rate it that way.(don't forget to actually rate the game :D)

Those are the main things to include. There are a whole lot of other things that you could include(no particular order):

..::::::::::::::::::::::::::..
game improvements/suggestions
storyline(if any)/concept
game play
difficulty
controls
sounds
recommend to players
overall rating/why
some Tips

You should also try to use bigger words other than "good/bad" Here are some I've used in the past for substitutes for common words.

Good: excellent, first-rate, pleasing, splendid, stupendous, superb, wonderful
Bad: cheap, crummy, not good, unsatisfactory, substandard, inferior
interesting: amusing, attractive, captivating, elegant, enchanting, exotic, impressive, intriguing, pleasing, unusual
weird/strange: grotesque, kooky, strange, uncanny, odd

But above all!
Write the merit how you write. Some people write the category, and then write what they liked about that category...

EX/
game play: the game play is, blah blah bla...

difficulty: this game is blah blah bla....
---------------------------------------------------------------
but most people write it like a paragraph.

This concludes my Merit guide. If anyone has any questions about anything feel free to ask me on my Profile. Or refer to Here

I hope this has helped some of you new people understand everything about merits.

Until next time,

~Binary Illusion.

Posted Nov 10, '08 at 3:34pm

Zophia

Zophia

9,535 posts

Didn't you post this yesterday as well?
I was actually looking for this earlier today, because yet another person was asking...
It's actually the best post about merits I have seen.

Posted Nov 10, '08 at 3:56pm

ShintetsuWA

ShintetsuWA

3,305 posts

I know for a fact I posted about stickying this on the NC's Forum, so he definitely did make another one. Was there a reason to, or was the thread deleted? This is a great thread and all, but there was no need to make a second one. >_>

Posted Nov 10, '08 at 7:23pm

Binary_Illusion

Binary_Illusion

310 posts

Thanks guys :) I tried to cover everything I wanted to know when I was new to the site.

And yes it was here yesterday. But I had Strop delete it because I coded it wrong. I forgot a / in the url code :/ So the link was messed up.

Thanks again.

~binary

Posted Nov 10, '08 at 8:06pm

Zophia

Zophia

9,535 posts

Lulz. Fair reason. And I agree, this one deserves being stickied, it has all the information needed compiled very elegantly.

Posted Nov 12, '08 at 8:22pm

Evo531

Evo531

56 posts

Oh but do they give merits out a lot

Posted Nov 12, '08 at 9:34pm

Binary_Illusion

Binary_Illusion

310 posts

Not really. Because the merit standards have been raised. And a lot of people don't cover what is needed. It doesn't have to be long(the comment), but it should be well constructed, and have good grammar, and spelling.

Posted Nov 12, '08 at 9:45pm

lordofwar857

lordofwar857

98 posts

This is a good thread

Posted Nov 13, '08 at 3:10pm

sunnyb

sunnyb

533 posts

so very helpful. thank you.

Posted Nov 13, '08 at 10:43pm

BlueberryMuffin