ForumsSupport ForumAutomatic comment Disabler?

14 2426
theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

Should we have it to where we can close our comments while were gone,foresay,3 days at minimum?And maybe we could customize it to 3 days,2 weeks,1 week?

Reason:Maybe someone unexpectedly gets hurt or something and he/she seems to be popular and they can't close there comments,but people continually spam there page?I know mods/admins do the "Please do not posts on "kjkjba" profile,he/she is currently inactive".I mean just 2 years ago i was out for a week.What do you think?

• 14 Replies
plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

This has been suggested before and it was a great idea.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

This has been suggested a lot of times but i got to agree wth this a kazillion times. Why?

1)People just spam
2)Maybe they get banned and people take advantage
3)Ghost accounts
4)The user quit is is temporally unavailable.

I go with this.

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

Well,what i think is:

1.If it has ben suggested before and people agree with it ALWAYS,then why isnt it here?
2.everything jaun posted,and including my injury half.
3.and it would be a great way to take off spam..
also it wouldnt put so much work into mods,i mean the coding does seem somewhat simple right now,and also to mention.it will take a great deal of work off of the user while he/she is gone.i mean having to come back and dlete 20+ posts of spam?

Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

Can't you just turn your comments off.

plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

Some people forget to, or it's an emergency and they can't access AG.

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

Thats the deal.

Injury,you can't.
Something happens,someone hacks your profile change your p-word cant get back on.
And,uh it will prevent what i beleive is possibly,4% spam.

Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

Yeah, but you would still have to remember to set your comments to the time until you get back.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

Yeah, but you would still have to remember to set your comments to the time until you get back

Not if it is set to disable the comments after, say, three days of inactivity. So if you have not been active for three days, then it automatically disables your comments.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

This is a good idea, and yet it hasn't been added. For what reason, I have no clue, but the same happened to the flag idea, and it eventually was added too, so maybe this will be added in the near future. If there is a simple code for an automatic log out date, then automatically disabling a users' comment box will be simple as well. This isn't something complex like a drag 'n drop tool bar.

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

This truly does sound simple inded shinetsuwa..dang now i feel like yoda or something..

well it does sound simple,and the last active feature didnt seem to hard but yet it made AG lag like crazy..well anyways i hope it happens because spam is at a peak.

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

This would be handy in some ways, but there is always the option to just manually turn off comments. I do admit if someones computer got messed up, it would be extremely useful, though. Either way, I lean towards no.

ParalysisTerror
ParalysisTerror
793 posts
Nomad

this is a great idea, now I won't have worry about manually diabiling comment posting in my profile.

ParalysisTerror
ParalysisTerror
793 posts
Nomad

oh sorry, I mean to say "disabling"

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Looks like another thing to add on the increasingly-large pile of suggestions is the ever-popular "Edit Option". But we'll get to that later.

I agree slightly with Flappybob, if it's just a small break like mine, you can just leave it alone and delete unnecessary spam, or disable comments manually. But if it's for the fact that you have been banned, if you are leaving for a longer period of time, or you quit (>_&gt, then the automatic comment disabler is a good choice.

Showing 1-14 of 14