ForumsThe TavernGreat Wines

22 4471
Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I'd like to get the opinions of some legal drinking age players here about some great wines they enjoy. I really enjoy big, full-bodied reds, but lately I've been running into some terrible ones while experimenting. Anyone have any favorite wines?

• 22 Replies
Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Are you more of a Pinot Noir, Cabernet Sauvignon, or Shiraz? Or somewhere in between those three? I'm not a huge red wine fan, I'm more partial to white wines as long as they aren't sweet or oaky. I would have have to say I love Fat Bast.ard Shiraz and this Argentinian Cab called Navarro.

Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

You should come to france. We have the best wines on earth. My favorite red wine is a Bordeaux. My favorite white wine is an alsacian wine, bery sweet for dessert.
But my favorite wine is definitely the &quotétillant de listel" if ever you come to france you should test it

BTW i'm legal drinking age in france ( even if it would not be the case in the states^^)

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Fat Bast.ard is a french wine. I really enjoy their white wines the best. I love a good Sauvignon Blanc

Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

Sauvigonon Blanc is great, but I prefer a good Riesling or some Clairette de Die

i usually drink some red wine at the restaurants though; except, of course, when we eat fish^^

Calm
Calm
909 posts
Herald

oh BTW I never heard of the fat bast.ard before, this is what i just read about it (next part is in french, sorry i can't translate)

"Robe jaune pâle avec reflets verts et brillants

Nez très aromatique aux notes de pamplemousse et de fruits exotiques"

it sounds good
frais et vif en bouche

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I've tried the Fat Merlot and Cabernet Sauvignon, but I didn't care for them much. I haven't tried their whites.
I love Cab. Sauv., Chianti, Pinot Noir, and certain Italian Appellations. I've started trying stuff from the states (2001 was a great year in California) but it's very hit and miss.
I haven't tried Navarro, but I do enjoy Argentinian, so maybe I'll give that a whirl.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Also, I also carry a Pinot Noir called La Creme. It is popular, but I've never tried it. But also try out some of those Ma & Pa vineyards. They can sometimes make a killer red wine.

Calm, I love a Riesling as long as it is Semi-dry. I just can't stand it if it tastes like kool-aid. I really really love this German Riesling called Polka Dot. And do you ever drink Mirassou?

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Oh that reminds me! DUH! Moe, try Mirassou Pinot Noir too.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Well, I am technically not of age, but I grew up in a wine making family, so it would be silly of me to say that I have never tried it. My very favorite wine is Dry Riesling, there is nothing that quite compares to it for me. Chardonnay is good as well, and I have to say I am more a fan of whites than reds.

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Carlie, we'd get along great except you enjoy Chardonnay. They all taste too oaky for me.

Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Depends on the Chardonnay. Some are too much for me, but the more subtle ones can be enjoyable. I actually prefer older Chardonnays as opposed to younger ones. They have a much more interesting flavor.

barneythebeast
barneythebeast
12 posts
Nomad

never seen a topic like this in the tavern before. 0.o

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I've had several Le Creme, some restaurants carry it. Depending on the vintage it can be quite enjoyable. I've seen Mirassou, but never tried it, that might be fun, thanks!

Asherlee
Asherlee
5,014 posts
Shepherd

Well, since we are on the gr.ape talk. I'm enjoying my favorite champagne right now. Martini & Rossi Asti Spumante. I've had Cristal, I've had Dom. They are all gross. I love me some 14 dollar bottle of bubbly!

Moegreche
Moegreche
3,829 posts
Duke

I love spumante, it's sweet but not too sweet. You can't go wrong!

Showing 1-15 of 22