ForumsSupport ForumSub Forums?

6 2246
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

If this suggestion is already in that mega sticky thread, then I didn't read it, because it's filled with other ideas that just repeat itself. So I just avoided another headache...

Ok, so there's lots of heated discussion over why there aren't separate forums for specific genres of the boards, so I came up with a suggestion: Sub Forums.

What it is: A small extra forum that contains all the threads for one specific type of the original forum. Some forums will have multiple "sub" forums that organize the main forum nicely.

Where it will go: Shpigford can add a small extra space around 1-3 inches in width that will house the links for the Sub Forums. Under the main forum, the Sub Forums will be under each main forum in small print. It will, of course, be separated from the rest of the forums, and be stuck with its dad while a line would divide the rest of the boards as it already is. Look at the S&S forum. The Sub Forums will look like Support and Suggestions under the main forum.

Pros: ---Organize the forums greatly

---Reduce confusion over where to create a thread at

---Reduce the amount of duplicated threads, as the
amount of threads are already huge, and will keep the
active threads on page one.

---Can help slightly with the new users on AG, as they
tend to create threads in the wrong places.

Con(s): --- Users will create threads in the main forum, which I have no clue how the main thread will turn out. Maybe the main forum can be a sort of "general discussion" for all of the Sub Forums? Of course, the helpful stickies will remain on the main thread, as a sort of guidance for the rest of the boards, as it has been before.

The way I see it, this is needed, but I don't know how much. It will make AG fancy and organized, though =)

• 6 Replies
Ajal
Ajal
135 posts
Nomad

I like it, I understand it about 80% but what i get out of it, I think it would be pretty good.

Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

i dont really like it. i think theres enough forums as is and that would just make this harder.

kevin44
kevin44
1,780 posts
Jester

I like it, it would give AG an organized appearance and also help people find a certain type of thread and know where to put their threads. It might be a little complicated though.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Use of subforums for Support and Suggestions is just abuse of power, flaunting what you have just so you can flaunt it. You might as well just split it into two rather than make people click twice to get to where they want since there is no point for the intermediary.

Subforums would only needs use in highly popular forums which promote discussion. A better example would be the popular media section which could split off to movies and music. And the Tavern could parent a general Clubs subforum.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

I wasn't referring to ALL of the forums when I created the suggestion, only those that needed to be split. The Support and Suggestions forum was just an example.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I was pointing out a flaw in the example. The forum is called Support & Suggestions, but splitting those into subforums under Support & Suggestions is a little absurd.

Subforums aren't as useful as they could be for something as common as music topics in the "Popular Media" forum. The forums aren't exactly popular. People just like to have things in neat little categories, but splitting things off where there's barely much traffic is just overdoing it. I wouldn't mind if these forums were a lot more popular, but only a fraction of the active players are actually active in the forums.

Showing 1-6 of 6