ForumsSupport ForumStoppping A minority of spammers

23 3133
plokkey
plokkey
4,572 posts
Jester

These suggestions are modified version of limited word comments.

Simple Suggestion

This is quite a simple suggestion and can stop a minority of the spam all over the place.

Ok you always see some people posting blank words as their comments. Also, comments that are wayyyyyy too long it turn out blanks. So what if their was a message if you posted a blank comment and stopped your from posting nothing. Also it can give yo ua message when your post is too long and will turn out blank.

Extended

Here is an extended version, if this won't work, then it will just be the idea right above.

Ok so if you posted a comment less than 7 words it will give you a warning and will tell you to review the Rules & Guidelines before posting.

• 23 Replies
Fyrefox
Fyrefox
2,126 posts
Blacksmith

That sounds like a very reasonable idea. It would have to lower the rate of spam and that would help a lot.

Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

How would it know if you have posted more than 7 words?

Fyrefox
Fyrefox
2,126 posts
Blacksmith

They make systems that count how many people come to a page. I'm sure they make one that counts words to.

masterofallgame
masterofallgame
70 posts
Nomad

possibly it would help with spam

Owen135731
Owen135731
2,128 posts
Peasant

usually the blank comments are just accidents...but im all for the 7 word or less warnings!

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

Yea this could help I guess, but would it work?

Ajal
Ajal
135 posts
Nomad

For the 7 word thing would it let you post it anyways, Because some posts are hard to make 7 words...

EX: Favorite kind of cake.

Chocolate cake is my favorite.

Only 5 but answers it well.

dragoncrusher
dragoncrusher
773 posts
Peasant

I liike that idea. That would make spammers actually put thought into their comments..........

russianfreak
russianfreak
1,843 posts
Farmer

i also like the idea.

juan999999
juan999999
3,012 posts
Jester

Shinetsua asked for an invisible button that appeared when you posted 7 or more words. After you post 7 or more the button appears. I like Shins idea better.

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

People can get around stuff.

"This game is very very very bad"
repeating words...holes in everything.

dragoncrusher
dragoncrusher
773 posts
Peasant

How about if you couldn't repeat words more than 4 times.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Okay, this might stop a 1-2% of spam.

If you write 7 words or less, it might help for them to review the guidelines, but it still lets them post. How about blocking it completely?

Strop
Strop
10,817 posts
Bard

Ok so if you posted a comment less than 7 words it will give you a warning and will tell you to review the Rules & Guidelines before posting.

It is true that some questions can be answered within five words. I know that sometimes I post messages that consist entirely of "" or some other emote.

But the times I do this is rare. Keeping in mind that these posting guidelines are guidelines, which means enforcing it is discretionary. Therefore I'm willing to put up with being redirected on those rare occasions I post under the word limit, because it doesn't happen often to me. I also know this will discourage people from posting overly small posts.

No automated measure is perfect but it has to be consistent.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Shinetsua asked for an invisible button that appeared when you posted 7 or more words. After you post 7 or more the button appears. I like Shins idea better.

Ok Wan, if you're going to reference me, then at least get my name right or something XD just call me Shin =)

For my suggestion from blazes knows how long, it was about having the &quotost reply" button translucent, until that user posts of a certain number of words. It doesn't have to be the number of words either. It can also be a certain length of the post as well. My last-minute example would be this long of a length:

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~~-~-~-

This can be from either 7-15 words, depending on how many short words and long words the user posted. This thing about repeated words cannot work in both ways, since those with long lectures like mine would just get scraped immediately, because I know I used "I" more than 5 times....I I..
Showing 1-15 of 23