Forums

ForumsWorld Events, Politics, Religion, Etc.

Thanksgiving?

Posted Nov 21, '08 at 3:18pm

Maria4ever

Maria4ever

57 posts

I have wondered what "Thanksgiving" is. I am to lazy to search on Wikipedia for the time being and I want some answers before the Thanksgiving Armatar Contest ends. Please tell me! :D :-)

Love
   -Maria-

Posted Nov 21, '08 at 3:28pm

eyetwitch

eyetwitch

780 posts

Thanksgiving in the U.S. is Food, Food, Food, Food, Food, Thanks, Food, Food, Food, Food, annnnnd some more food.  :)

Posted Nov 21, '08 at 4:42pm

Carlie

Carlie

6,915 posts

Knight

Some selections from Wikipedia will explain it pretty well:

"An annual American Federal holiday to express thanks for one's material and spiritual possessions. Most people celebrate by gathering at home with family or friends for a holiday feast... related to the deliverance of the English settlers by Native Americans after the brutal winter at Plymouth, Massachusetts."

So pretty much it is a traditional American holiday that has been celebrated since about America was founded. Kids dress up as pilgrim and native americans and do plays at school. Turkeys are sold in mass quantities. It is just a time to get together with friends and family, and eat TONS of delicious food. Turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, gravy, yams, cranberry sauce, ham, pumpkin pie, apple pie.... and the list goes on. YUM! I am quite looking forward to it, lol.

Posted Nov 21, '08 at 4:58pm

Led17RUSH

Led17RUSH

40 posts

Its a celebration of...well thanks. Began when the pilgrims had a big feast thanking God for letting them cross from Europe to America safely.
Traditionally you have turkey and stuffing and other fine foods.
But that usually depends on what you WANT for Thanksgiving.

Theres a Thanksgiving Armatar Contest?
How do you do it?

Posted Nov 21, '08 at 4:59pm

ChopstickBoB

ChopstickBoB

147 posts

Basically its binge eating in commemoration of our forbearers nearly starving to death.

But not starving to death because of a group of people they would eventually butcher or exile to reservtions in the West.

Also unofficially called turkey day.

That might just be me though.

Posted Nov 21, '08 at 5:06pm

Carlie

Carlie

6,915 posts

Knight

Basically its binge eating in commemoration of our forbearers nearly starving to death.

But not starving to death because of a group of people they would eventually butcher or exile to reservtions in the West.

Also unofficially called turkey day.

That might just be me though.

Yea pretty much. The original history of what happened has pretty much been completely glossed over.

And people do call it Turkey Day as well =)

Posted Nov 21, '08 at 5:13pm

ShintetsuWA

ShintetsuWA

2,517 posts

No offense, but I resent people who call it Turkey Day. Some people don't even eat turkey on Thanksgiving. It's the same thing as Christmas, they don't say "Merry Christmas" anymore, its always Happy Holidays, or Merry Xmas, or other things. What the heck is this? Russia?

And another thing, Thanksgiving started off without turkey, so Turkey day is once again exempt from the legitimate name calling. Just a general term Thanksgiving will do.

Posted Nov 21, '08 at 5:36pm

Carlie

Carlie

6,915 posts

Knight

Errr, I don't really think it is a big deal. A lot of people just associate the day with turkey. I really don't think anyone means any disrespect by it.

And I thought you lived in Japan? I didn't know they celebrated Christmas and Thanksgiving there.

Posted Nov 21, '08 at 5:42pm

theone99

theone99

2,431 posts

It's the celebration of when Indians helped american settlers by giving us a feast and naming it "The great giving" I think,well it was right after our starving time,which,of course,we had no food.

Posted Nov 21, '08 at 8:57pm

UltraPriest

UltraPriest

50 posts

And than we killed them all, to show our thanks.

Reply to Thanksgiving?

You must be logged in to post a reply!