ForumsProgramming ForumEpic game in visual production, aS 2/3.00 coders needed!

7 2782
Rollie
Rollie
12 posts
Nomad

If you'd like to make some good money and credentials in flash game development, please read this. If you're just lurking, not feeling motivated, read anyway, it's good for you :P

Hey programming forum, I'm a recent graduate of a diploma course in digital media and animation with 7+ years of flash animation under my belt. I am eager to work with any number (even 1) of skilled actionScript programmers to bring my project to life with me.

This is no meagre attempt at making a cool flash game because I played some here, nono. Artwork has been in production for months now, and I am working hard to finish the background art, having made the enemy flash sprites already.

Here is a link to some background art
http://rollielomas.deviantart.com/art/Artemis-Level-design-103973287

And here are some flash sprites
http://rollielomas.deviantart.com/art/Artemis-Sprites-105380186

I have typed up a full guide to how the gameplay works that is as smart as flash games can be, and I have done a lot to make this easy to work with and understand. Having said that I will need someone who is more than just a weekend warrior with actionscript, but also understands the aesthetic of a good game.

Profits will be split fairly by the measure of input from the group, I'm not greedy, everyone plays a part and I'd like the credit more than the money (needless to say I want the money too )

So, anyone interested in this? I've worked hard on this and I am not fucking around. The plot, gameplay, coding, everything, will all be made clear if you wish it to be. Simply send an e-mail
rollie.lomas@gmail.com

Or hit me up on IM:
rollie.lomas@gmail.com (MSN)
lomasthepower (AIM)

And we can start talking about this project. I look forward to seeing who bites.

Roland.

• 7 Replies
BehemothBoy
BehemothBoy
33 posts
Nomad

Hey,

Sounds interesting, just a shame I'm not quite good enough to help you . I loved your background and your sprites, they look good. Good luck and hope it goes well for you.

That's my two cents worth.

Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

Well, it's not usually the artist who decides on the game, it makes a lot harder for the programmer

But I wanna know what exactly you have in mind

IQAndreas
IQAndreas
299 posts
Peasant

I would love to help if you would take me.

My foremost ability is that I have gotten to the point where I am a "fluent programmer". I am able to think logically and know what the code will do before running it (at least most of the time :-P ).

Visual Basic .Net 2005 is my mother tongue. I have been working with VB.net for about 5 years (extensively for 2 of those years). One of my applications is currently being used by my ex-school for selecting students randomly from an MS SQL database to be drug tested.

I have also learned several other programming languages, however, most of them only the basics or code that was needed for the time.

I took a True BASIC class in school, which is pretty much like VB, but without seeing what you do. That is the only language that was not self-taught.

For the Random Drug Testing program, I learned SQL, more specifically MS SQL. I am also familiar with HTML and a bit of Java Script.

I also have experience in administering a Windows Server 2003 server and running HTML and SQL on it. (Sadly, my 180 day trial is now expired.)

I went through the entire Perl for Dummies book, which didn't really cover a lot, but it was enough to get by at the time.

For a while, I was learning Java, not much, though, but enough to create basic classes etc. I might know more now without knowing it since it is supposedly similar to Action Script.

Sadly, I have only been working with Action Script 3 for about 3 months now, however, since I am already very familiar with object oriented programming, the only thing that differs is the syntax, and has been relatively easy to learn.

I would be glad to help with anything I can. I am currently working, so I don't have as much time as a full time developer, however, I still have a lot of free time, and 3 days of the week I am totally free. I can also speak to my employer and take a little time off to devote more time to programming.

I added you to MSN messenger, and I am usually online all day from 8:00AM to 6:00PM, so if you are online any time then, send me a message and we can discuss this more in detail.

If you have any questions, either comment on my profile, or send me a message via MSN.

dank
dank
986 posts
Peasant

You're art is very nice, and seeing as you've managed to actually get the concept and gameplay documention down first is impressive. However, you are not going about this in the right way. It is best for artists to first become accomplished by working with other teams and building a reasonable portfolio, then move to heading a project. There are many reasons for this:
1) You have not obtained contacts in the game design/development scene whom are experienced
2) You have not proven that you can accomplish tasks
3) Programmers who will be applying to help will be immature in the nature of game development, working with development teams, and/or programming and thus will not be capable of completing given tasks

I think you will find it better if you first make yourself known and work in small groups (games, animation, and/or other arts) and get your name out there and develop a list of people who join you later to produce your concepts quickly and accurately.

Well, it's not usually the artist who decides on the game, it makes a lot harder for the programmer

This is a horribly inaccurate statement. It is usually the design team who designs the game. The development team then follows their outline to produce the idea as accurately as possible. Of course, when working in small teams, many members wear multiple hats. But even so, the primary programmers are most likely to be the last people to be in the design process.
Captain_J_Sheridan
Captain_J_Sheridan
313 posts
Nomad

I didn't mean the programmer would be the one to design

Rollie
Rollie
12 posts
Nomad

Dank:
Thanks for the advice, but while I'm not well known it's because I don't network like this often, as I prefer to work in private with selected partners. I don't publish myself but I have a lot of experience in making these games. I'm just doing my very own project at the moment, and I'm going about this in a very solo way.

starfiregold
starfiregold
5 posts
Nomad

You == Very talented and creative artist and animator

Me == Professional casual game developer

We == Brilliant, marketable games

sevenxthree at yahoo dot com

Showing 1-7 of 7