ForumsArt, Music, and WritingNightmares of the Chosen One:

4 2036
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Setting: February 18, 1884; England; a moderate snow fall has just blanketed the ground, the air is very cold, to the point of being able to obtain frostbite; British industry is booming.

Story: Sophia (not to be mistaken with Zophia, I just like the name) Watson has a unique power -- she is a Seer. She can move objects with her mind, read into someones' thoughts,receive cerebral messages from others that also have her ability, and can be warned of nearby danger. Because of this power, British officials are hunting her, for the sole reason of being able to obtain key information to be able to dominate their enemies. She has evaded confrontation for 2 years, but it has gotten to the point where the officials have hired mercenaries to apprehend her...

---------------------------------------------------------------------------
CHAPTER ONE: Coincidence, or Reunion?

I don't feel as though I can stay hidden forever. After hearing news of innocent civilians being confronted and beaten for not knowing information of my whereabouts, I'm beginning to think that these officials are getting desperate. Others that have my powers are being tracked down as well, just that they aren't so lucky as I am.

Where we were prosperous people of the 1600s, our numbers have dropped immensely since, and it is all because of that power-hungry General William Herman, and that lunk head of a king, Henry XVIII, led to believe that hunting us down will bring us eternal prosperity, that we are nothing but people with problems, that once we are captured that the doctors will help us, but that is not the case. They capture us, they use these weird devices to suck our memories bone dry. Once that is done, they take us outside in the middle of a field and put us down, having no use of us anymore. I'm all too smart to believe in any of this; however, I'm not so strong in my ability to send messages as others that are mature in their abilities are.

My constant hiding from officials led me to this lone tavern in the outskirts of town. I needed supplies badly, I couldn't just stay in one town and take as much as I felt I needed, as that would just slow me down. When problems arose, I had to run, and run FAST. I brought what little provisions I could carry without too much to handle every time I set out, and when supplies were low, I would locate a city, renew my supplies, then move again. This tavern was my next target.

Forcibly opening up the creaky, icy door of the tavern, the once hearty noises strong enough to pierce through the walls turned into silence. The brief silence turned back into more bustling murmurs after checking who might be entering the tavern. Once in the tavern, the cold feeling in my body left immediately once I sat down next to the burning furnace. I could buy my supplies quickly, but it seemed that the barman wasn't around. He might be in the room upstairs? I wanted to check, but something made me freeze where I sat.

I instantly wanted to leave here immediately.

Death was apparently at my doorstep, for I felt paranoia seep within me. Somebody in this room was making this paranoia -- a mercenary, probably? Or an official him/herself? I looked around, terrified, I didn't want to die, much less being carried away to be tortured. The mercenary could be anywhere; from being inside the tavern itself, to being outside, or anywhere around the building, but wherever it was, I had to get out of here.

The lights in the tavern went off. No, not the lights, just my mind playing tricks on me. Looking around fearfully, no one seemed to notice the increasing darkness building, so it must be my eyes. I never had this sort of feeling at all before; I was being tracked down, yes, but it wasn't as terrible as this moment here. I instantly wished that I wasn't a Seer at all.

Do NOT move from this spot.
You are being watched even as we speak.
There is a man in this very room who is waiting to attack you.
Do not be afraid; I will help you.
If you want to live, listen to my every command.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

• 4 Replies
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

-----------------------------------------------------------------------
CHAPTER ONE -- PART TWO:

The room darkened even more. Darker, darker, until I could see nothing, except for me, and the chair that I sat in. The world around me was a dark, brooding abyss, but I wasn't falling. I was just frozen there, unable to move. Could there be somebody controlling me? And what was that message I just received in my mind? Another Seer?

A pair of old, wise eyes appeared, glaring at me menacingly. They weren't evil eyes, they seemed...protective, and kind. This Seer who wants to protect me is probably the owner of these eyes, but where in the world would he be? I didn't care; I didn't want to die, I didn't want to be tortured, I just wanted to be left alone...

I want you to follow my EVERY command, you understand me?
This man who is trying to attack you-- he's right behind you,
waiting for the chance to nab you, but thankfully, he has no
idea where you are right now.
DO.NOT.Look at him AT ALL!
I want you to rise from your seat and move to the bar area.
This man will follow you.
Sit next to the man with the tattered robe, and the
woman with the poodle in her lap.
This way, the man won't be able to sit by you.
Order a drink from the barman.
Leave the bar quietly; if you hear a fight ensuing, I
want you to run -- as fast as you can.
I will meet up with you later, now GO!

Instantly, the darkness that I was enveloped in soon brightened, and I returned to the cold, dank tavern I was in. Fear soon took over me again, because this man was neck and neck with me, but sitting opposite from where I was. I remembered the old man's words, and I did exactly as he had instructed me.

I slowly rose from my seat, taking every step into blind consideration. My heart was beating very quickly, so quickly that I could bet 10 pounds that the people around me could hear it. That very same heart beat skipped twice, for that man did forcibly rise from his seat. He was following me! I cried inside; I wanted this nightmare to end. Please... old man... help me!

Walking ever so slowly, I inched my way into the corner of the bar area. Every step was a skipped beat, beats of fear and horror. I felt that man's breath cover my neck. That's when I ran to the corners of the bar, where the man in the tattered robe and the lady with the poodle sat. With small tears in my eyes, I bolted to the seat where I must be; the man did run too, but he was too slow. Breathing heavily and stopping the flow of tears, I sat down and rested, but just for a little while. It may seem silly of me, but when you are within Death's grasp, you lose much of your energy -- just to stay alive.

The lady with the poodle looked at me, shocked. She seemed from the nobility, with her sparkling purple scarf around her neck, her ruby earrings dangling from her ears, and a thin veil covering her beautiful face. She was a sight to see, but the man with the tattered robes... I felt sorry for him -- he must be a beggar of a sort. He seemed to be strange for one though. Although he had ragged, patched clothing, he had an amethyst jewel -- embedded in his skull. His hood covered most of his face in shadow, and he carried a small, wooden staff at his side. It was even stranger for the fact that two members of the opposite caste would be sitting almost next to each other. Maybe they are acquainted?

"Oh dear, you poor thing, you're shaking!" Exclaimed the poodle lady. It wasn't clear to me, but from the look of my hands, I must be. I couldn't even clutch the glass of wine that I ordered from the barman's assistant! "Don't you worry dear, here -- wear this for a moment!" She took off her mantle that covered her in a silk dress. I wanted to speak, but I didn't have the energy to, so she put it on for me. Warmth surrounded me, and my fear lessened. But that man was still there, waiting. I could directly look at him from my peripheral vision, but that didn't help my paranoia situation any.

The man in the tattered robe turned from the wall he was facing, and looked at me. He held out a wrinkled hand, asking for a salutation.

"Copernicus S. Swanson, at your service!" He said, with a deep, sincere voice. I wanted to shake his hand, I really wanted to, but there was something written in his hand that made me think otherwise:

"Finish your drink, then run like Hell.
There's going to be fight anytime soon, all for your sake.
I suggest you make sure this plan comes into fruition."

I didn't want this to go all in vein, so I honored his plan. I took one last gulp of my strawberry wine, then bolted for the door. Startled, the man who was hunting me rises from his chair, but trips from his seat. The lady with the poodle had tied his boots to the table! A gun shot protruded out from his pistol, but the bullet did not make any contact with a human being. The crack of the pistol startled the rest of the tavern people, and they ran out of the tavern in chaos. The two people I met though, stayed. I watched from one of the windows as they combated this hunter.

"You two punks get out of my way or else --"

"I wouldn't be making threats, mercenary, unless you value your life", declared Mr. Swanson. His amethyst jewel shined brightly, then it shot a blast from his skull, piercing the hunter's upper torso. The hunter jumped back 4 feet and collapsed a nearby table, breaking it in two. Blood soon issued out of his body, while he stood there, motionless.

"Urrrgh....You're one of them too..."

The fight was spectacular! These two people were amazing! A seer is able to fight? He must be highly experienced, since I'm barely able to retrieve messages at all. Wait! I was supposed to run away! I was so caught up in the fight that I had forgotten to flee from town! I did just that, and fled two blocks south, taking a temporary refuge in a nearby shack. As soon as I opened the door, however, they had already appeared there.

"I thought I told you to run from the tavern", said Mr. Swanson, frustrated.

"I-I'm sorry!" I said, frightened. "I was watching your fight, and I was amazed that Seers such as yourself are able to do such things, and--"

"Wait," interrupted the lady with the poodle. "You can't do any of these things? It's no wonder why you had such a hard time keeping up with the mercenaries. Well, it doesn't matter now, you're safe, at least."

"Yes", replied Mr. Swanson, "You're safe now, and we've lots to explain to you..."
---------------------------------------------------------------------
---------------------------------------------------------------------

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Story: Sophia (not to be mistaken with Zophia, I just like the name)
And I was like - *wtf face* ^^;

And I am bumping this up for sometime where I have concentration to read through it... I'm not sure why, but it went slightly wall-of-text on me.
flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

*Clap clap clap*

Another great story! I couldn't have written half the story in twice the time and had the same quality. Wonderful job.

Story: Sophia (not to be mistaken with Zophia, I just like the name)

I loled.
ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

And I am bumping this up for sometime where I have concentration to read through it... I'm not sure why, but it went slightly wall-of-text on me.

Isn't every story a wall-o'-text? LOL
Chapter Two premieres Saturday. If not, then Sunday XD
Showing 1-4 of 4