ForumsArt, Music, and WritingHow do you sit when you draw?

34 6362
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Somewhat fail title...
Anyway, I was having this conversation with a few friends of mine, because they were confused with my habit of drawing in all sorts of weird poses... I don't have on preferred way of sitting/lying when I draw, but it got me curious about how others work...

So... How do you sit when you draw? Either just reply, or make a scribble of it!

Like this, for instance:
http://i193.photobucket.com/albums/z121/Mazzelh/Welcome.jpg
I was lying like that while drawing it. If you'd walked into my room, that's pretty much what you would have seen...

• 34 Replies
thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

http://i466.photobucket.com/albums/rr28/thoadthetoad/drawingposition.jpg
meh, it's just a quick scribble in paint, but that's the two ways I draw. POS. 1 is when I'm drawing on the comp, and POS. 2 is whenever I'm drawing with a pencil and paper.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

I do that hunched over one too.
So you have a chair that you lean back in while you put your feet on a wall and use the mouse?

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

yes exactly XD. It's the most comfortable to me. I always have my feet pushed up either on my wall or on the back of the desk. . . .or at least when I'm at the computer. I love laying down XD.

imthebest
imthebest
1,690 posts
Nomad

i don't draw much but when i do i draw like really close to what i am drawing and put both of my arms on the edge of the table/desk

tennisman24
tennisman24
4,682 posts
Farmer

yea i do what fst6 does but i have my tounge out haha

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

http://i428.photobucket.com/albums/qq1/Cerene_Cerine/drawingposition.jpg
Uhm, like this.

Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I was lying like that while drawing it. If you'd walked into my room, that's pretty much what you would have seen..

LOL
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

LOL
Just a little, maybe~

@Cenere:
You can draw on a tablet on the floor in that sitting position? Interesting.
Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

I sat like that while drawing it, so yes? But in my bed... Still like that, though.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

At least one foot firm on the ground and a straight back. Who chills when they draw? Of course I don't have a tablet or anything similar so I can't have all sorts of lazy postures. Plus pencil and paper works best on a hard flat surface, preferably one that is stable.

Cenere
Cenere
13,658 posts
Jester

You have not enough technic, Gantic:P... Actually, drawing while - chilling is easy, and works fine for me. Unless, of corse, you are working on an A3... But just a book or something to use as surface, and then you will be fine.

Gameblade
Gameblade
70 posts
Nomad

Depends where I am, but usually in a normal-ish position. My elbows are always out, BTW. And sometimes, I'll put my legs in some weird position, which makes it much easier to concentrate.

kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

Umm....let me draw it...

http://i296.photobucket.com/albums/mm193/kingryanv/drawpos.jpg

THats me if I am using the touch pad....i might have my mouse at the side if I am using it....I will usually use a mouse for when I animate...

Other times I'll be at my desk...or on the couch in the lounge....I don't draw much though because I suck at drawing!

KingRYan

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I did do that sometimes, not recently, since drawings like that tend to end up a bit smudgy. From the positions I see here, restricted elbow movement = wrist fatigue!

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

I sat like that while drawing it, so yes? But in my bed... Still like that, though.
I think I might just have too much belly for that kind of a sitting curl.

Who chills when they draw?
*raises hand*

restricted elbow movement = wrist fatigue!
All the time! When I'm lying front on bed, that is. Usually not in the arm I use to draw with, but rather in the one I use to hold my head/shoulders up...
Showing 1-15 of 34