ForumsArt, Music, and WritingMeter vs. Free Verse

3 3627
Parsat
Parsat
2,180 posts
Blacksmith

I suppose you denizens of the poetry contest may have figured out by now that I'm a big proponent of metered rhymes. Perhaps that's why my favorite poet is Robert Frost. I've never been so greatly attracted to free verse, because it is most often done ineptly and without regard to nuances of diction, grammar, punctuation, flow, etc. So I want to know a few things:

1. Do you prefer reading metered or free verse?
2. Do you usually write metered or free verse? How easy is it for you?
3. Which one is actually easier? Which one is more effective at conveying the message?

• 3 Replies
kingryan
kingryan
4,196 posts
Farmer

I don't really mind. I prefer metered, because to me it seems more like poetry.

I would explain more...but I don't really have the time....

kingryan

Xzeno
Xzeno
2,301 posts
Nomad

1. Metered. I think free verse is just... lazy.
2. Metered. I have written some free verse stuff, and it was easier. Easy garbage.
3. Metered is also better at conveying my message. With free verse, I tend to include things that aren't really important.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

1. Neither. But it's interesting to see debates of whether or not some contemporary (free verse) poets are overrated.

2. Neither. It's a process that dictates itself.

3. Neither. It doesn't really matter beyond the superficial and the obvious. Truly. Everyone sees different things and it isn't a point to explain it away, regardless of the deeper meaning, tertiary layers and the like.

But I haven't really been trying for the Poetry Contest. (taking no more than half an hour, maybe.) Ideas are as good as a half-written poem, of which I have plenty.

Showing 1-3 of 3