ForumsSupport ForumModerators & Merits

524 131581
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

This is a compilation of an introduction to the moderators, answering questions on how to become a moderator, and what our merit standards are.

TABLE OF CONTENTS

1. The Moderation Team
2. Want to be a Mod? Want Merits?
3. Our Merit Standards
4. Our Moderator Standards

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

The Moderation Team

Questions can normally be answered through the Help page, so if you have a general site question, please make sure to look there first.

The Moderators on Armor Games make sure that users are following the Rules and Regulations, and help enforce these rules. You may see them around the site, answering users questions and taking care of SPAM. Moderator comments show up in blue in the forums, so it is easier to tell when a moderator is responding on a topic. All site moderators and administrators can be viewed on the About page.

Without further ado, here is a list of the most current Moderators:
http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_15_200.200_c.jpg
dank

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_18_200.200_c.jpg
Devoidless

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_178_200.200_c.jpg
Estel

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_176_200.200_c.jpg
Moegreche

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_140_200.200_c.jpg
NoNameC68

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_4_200.200_c.jpg
Strop

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_34_200.200_c.jpg
ubertuna

http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_148_200.200_c.jpg
Zophia

Armor Games also has a Community Manager, who acts with the Moderators to help improve the community:
http://armorgames.com/image/armatar_119_200.200_c.jpg
Carlie

Much thanks to all of the Moderators that help keep the site clean of spam and abuse!

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-

Want to be a Moderator? Want Merits?

Then DON'T ASK!

We love that you love Armor Games enough to try to become a moderator or that you want extra points for writing a great review but we will not make you a moderator or give you a merit if you ask.

Why?

Because we choose our moderators by selecting members of the community who are responsible, mature, and contribute in great ways to the site. We watch in our own eyes and suggest to each other who should become the next mod. If you say to us "hey, I want to be a mod!" you are hurting this process because we want to choose based on qualities of users we need... leadership, responsibility, maturity, respect, and dedication to make the site awesome. Saying "I should be mod!" makes us think twice... mod material comes from people who SHOW US they can be a mod, not ASK US.

So don't:
Ask a mod to make you a moderator on the site.
Ask an admin to make you a moderator on the site.
Suggest a user to become a moderator on the site.

As for merits, we don't want you shoving your merits in our faces. We have quite a few people scouring the site looking for awesome comments to merit so if you wrote something good most likely it will be found. If it isn't found, that isn't to say you didn't do something great for the site. People who write lots of good comments end up becoming mods as well, so maybe you won't get the merit but you might get something even better!

So help the site by being good Armor Games users, but let us choose the next mods and merits on our own accord.

Thanks!

(Thanks to John for this section)

Merit Standards

We have been getting a lot of complaints lately about people not getting merits for their comments. This is not necessarily because we have not seen them, but because we have heightened our standards of what constitutes a merit worthy comment. We have put our standards into some guidelines, so that you guys can see what we look for in a merit:

1) Perfect or near perfect grammar. Remember to use capitalization and proper spelling.
2) Structured - try to give some flow and structure to what you are writing. Don't just around from topic to topic.
3) Comprehensive, and with unique insight into the game that we somehow deem to be valuable.
4) Coherent. A lot of reviews that follow the recommended template become an exercise unto itself i.e. they don't really make sense when you actually read them. They sometimes even contradict themselves. These sort of comments don't get merits. Just because it is long, does not mean it will get a merit. It has to make sense too.
5) Contains constructive criticism of the game. Tell us the changes that you would make to the game, and why. What do you approve of? What don't you like?
6) Do not ask for a merit. Chances are, if you have to ask for a merit, you will not get one. It highly reduces your chances of receiving one, and makes us sad every time you ask

+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-+-
For further hints and tips, check out the N&N and Greg Merit Guide. But remember to always follow the guidelines listed above.

Moderator Standards

"If you would like to become a moderator, you first need to show that you are responsible on the site; show a good posting record and maturity and you may be granted these exclusive rights! We will usually hand pick moderators, but if you feel you have what it take, contact us on the Contact page... we are really, really picky though!" -Courtesy of the Help page.

Now here are some of this things we look for in moderators:

1) Responsibility. Potential moderators must be responsible, mature, honest, and trustworthy. There is not a specific age requirement, but maturity is a big aspect of moderation. This is why we do tend to choose members who are older.
2) Good posting record. We look for members who have a good posting record. This means they have an adequate amount of forum posts, game reviews, and merits. We look for people who post clearly and intelligently with very few spelling or grammatical errors. We will never choose someone who spams any of their writing for points. We look for people who post comments to help improve the site, instead of just posting for points.
3) Helpful. Potential moderators are members who are very helpful and courteous to other members of the community. They answer questions for other members when possible with a friendly attitude. They are active and constructive with suggestions and support. Moderators have a genuine interest in helping improve the community.
4) Activity. We only ask members who are moderately to very active on the site. This helps us ensure that they will be accessible to members of the community, and be around to help enforce the rules of the site.

If you would like to be a moderator, please do not ask a moderator or administrator directly. Chances are, if you have to ask to be a moderator, you probably should not be one. We normally hand pick moderators, and none of the moderators that we currently have were chosen because they asked for it. We don't really go by the 'Ask and you shall receive policy.'

Last updated by Carlie on December 16, 2008

• 524 Replies
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Asking how to be a mod won't lessen your chances of becoming one. Asking to be one will lessen the chances. So don't ask. It's okay, because your still new.

Sergeant_Harlend
Sergeant_Harlend
30 posts
Nomad

What i think to: Moderators & Merits-*UPDATED*
Well first of all, i would like to thank the community for this!
It was really helpful i was lost and everything and i made a mistake.
I asked someone how to get merits and i want to correct it, i promise not ask someone again for those things again, i was new and i had a lot of difficult,and know when i saw this it helped me! thank you AG

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

It's alright to ask how you get merits, as long as you don't start messaging mods saying they should check out certain reviews.

random_player_of_ag
random_player_of_ag
2,636 posts
Nomad

It's alright to ask how you get merits, as long as you don't start messaging mods saying they should check out certain reviews.

Well in the reviews there are signs.
A flag and a vote up arrow.
If you click the arrow (In my opinion) you are calling the mods attention for that review saying that it is a good review.

Correct me if I am wrong.
Dash777
Dash777
3 posts
Nomad

This is a very nice process, I cant find any holes int he procedure. Great job.

ledmonds
ledmonds
382 posts
Nomad

I think earning a merit is one of the hardest things on AG as well as becoming a mod, it is one of my main goals to earn one merit.

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

I know this might sound silly but in the Contacts we put our real name, or username? or doesn't matter?

theone99
theone99
3,041 posts
Shepherd

I don't think it really matters, they usually reply on your e-mail and not your username anyway. I always use "mr tim" (yes with space), but they did not mind

Thanks, ooo and your only 3 posts away from 1k!
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

I don't think it really matters, they usually reply on your e-mail and not your username anyway. I always use "mr tim" (yes with space), but they did not mind.

Weird fact #1:

I always thought you were female! *scratches chin in wonder*

Weird fact #2:

Mr. Tim?

Weird question #14,509:

What happened to the original moderators & merits thread?
firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

It got unstickied and locked, buried away, because Zophia became mod!

Oh, ok...
I always thought it was deleted or something.
Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

Actually it just generally needed an update, me becoming a moderator just gave Carlie a really good excuse to get it done.

Ithikhar
Ithikhar
60 posts
Shepherd

I don't mean to be a picky english teacher, even though I'm not, but in the "Merit Standards" Section #2 to be precise, sentence two to be even more precise, it says, "Don't just around from topic to topic". To my reckoning I think it should be: Don't just jump around from topic to topic. I'm sorry if I come across as being a perfectionist and snooty jerk. I do hope this helps though...

daviddgu
daviddgu
69 posts
Nomad

we need are own picture on armorgames so we can upload are on picture not them shit one the give us lol

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

Iron - Squire

Flag

we need are own picture on armorgames so we can upload are on picture not them **** one the give us lol

That's not possible. People can simply use inappropriate pictures or anything else for their own pleasure or just to annoy the mods. Too risky.

Go to newgrounds if that's what you prefer.
charchoco
charchoco
1 posts
Nomad

awesome[b]

Showing 31-45 of 524