ForumsSupport ForumTwo Suggestions to Improve Game Feedback and Community Comment Quality

6 2987
ChopstickBoB
ChopstickBoB
142 posts
Nomad

A disclaimer to start; these are not my original ideas. I read them in a poplular humor website article about trolling that I won't link due to mature content. With that out of the way...

In regards to Feedback for games:
I read in the Rules and Common Suggestions sticky here that short reviews such as "Good" and "10/10" are considered spam and we should flag them. Obviously no one does. One method of reducing this concern would be code that requires every comment to be unique. Apparently Randall Monroe,creator of XKCD Webcomic, has done this and the results are positive. Maybe if people find that they can't just post "Nice" or "duuuuh boring" because someone five pages back already did they'll put more thought into their comments.

In regards to Community Comment:
Yes, people who post dumb or offensive things should be banned, but sometimes these people are making an honest mistake (albeit based in an inability to read). This would be fine if half of them didn't show back up to spam up the forum for a strait hour until they get bored and go eat paint chips. Solution? Give them a warning by disemvoweling their less-than-intelligent comments. Disemvoweling is where all of the words in their comment are removed, leaving the consonants. Its teaches the people to stop being stupid and is very entertaining for everyone else! A little public shame would hopefully bring most in line without the need for a ban and hopefully cut down on retributive spamming.

• 6 Replies
silentclore
silentclore
297 posts
Nomad

I really think those suggestions are great ,But as usual our programmer, or whoever puts together this site may not want to take time to make a system like that. I think it would be easier to just flag all of the worthless spam comments. Also the public shame thing I think would be great ,but then again our mods might not like that.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

1. Xtreme Kansas College of Dentistry! For the record, they use phpBB. I'm pretty sure this system is built from scratch so it would probably require a bit more coding and a lot more resources, which Armor Games probably doesn't have at the moment. Yeah, sucks, doesn't it?

2. That would require the ability to edit a post to some extent (even if an automated mod tool), and isn't it too much humiliation given the maturity level of the userbase of Armor Games? At least talking about Fick's law requires some sort of above average intelligence.

Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

This seems like a pretty good dicaplinary system (I hope I spelled that right) but wouldn't it be very hard to code? Plus, why would you take out all vowels in all there comments? That would make it look like worse spam.

Example: hy wht re y dng

That looks terrible. Plus, spammers would try to trick moderators by posting short comments without vowels. Then if a moderator sees it, they would think another moderator had already taken care of it. I just don't think it will work out, sorry. =[

Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

I realize I forgot to take out the "e" in my example, and there are a couple of other typos in there, too.

Sorry for double post.

ChopstickBoB
ChopstickBoB
142 posts
Nomad

This seems like a pretty good dicaplinary system (I hope I spelled that right) but wouldn't it be very hard to code? Plus, why would you take out all vowels in all there comments? That would make it look like worse spam.

The point is to make it difficult to read, both to warn the person that their comment was inappropriate and to destroy the effectiveness of the comment. You have to think about it too long to react.

I really think those suggestions are great ,But as usual our programmer, or whoever puts together this site may not want to take time to make a system like that.

Possible. I wouldn't really know because Im not a programmer. My only programming experience is with the built-in Basic in Excel. I do know that both systems have been implemented already.
ParalysisTerror
ParalysisTerror
793 posts
Nomad

all good ideas, you know, we should tell the AG staff to take off the 2 AP for every comment someone posts, maybe that will stop the spamming

if they don't earn their points by posting comments, they'll lose interest on getting points and stop with their spamming.

my opinion XD

Showing 1-6 of 6