ForumsSupport ForumThumbs up

11 2611
DeepFriedPeanuts
DeepFriedPeanuts
119 posts
Nomad

There should be a thumbs up/down button to earn AP one up thumb=1 AP, down= 0 AP.
Doesnt have to be AP's but I wan't to know how im doing.
Besides, it would be fun.

• 11 Replies
Carlie
Carlie
6,843 posts
Blacksmith

Do you mean as a type of member rating? Being able to rate other people?

RaptorExx
RaptorExx
2,204 posts
Farmer

Well if it's rating members then how about this;

Thumbs Up = 0 AP

And that's it. People would spam this 'Thumbs Up' thing for a measly 1 AP per hit, but then there's also others who would 'Down' everyone because they can =/
There's no place for a Thumbs Down button anywhere, just because you're mad or they're mad that day doesn't give anyone the right to ruin their time, even if they're spammers, we already get the idea. That's just my opinion on it.

Flippin3500
Flippin3500
2,581 posts
Shepherd

That idea sounds really cool, although it probably shouldn't give any AP. It also should be personal, too. When I say that I mean a user can thumb up/thumb down you but are not allowed to see your statistics. I think this is a pretty good idea, but not needed.

im_tha_man
im_tha_man
394 posts
Nomad

Good idea, I don't think you should get AP though and I think you should be able to see the statistics but you can only vote on the same person once.

thoadthetoad
thoadthetoad
5,642 posts
Peasant

this Idea really doesn't seem that great. Like the people said, they'd rate people down just for the hell of it, and possibly, people are gonna start saying, "Hey I'll thumb up u if u thumb up me." causing utter spamzords to arise, and I'm sure the programming for it wouldn't be favorable either. Me being brutally honest, I think this is a terrible idea.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Why shouldn't users see others' statistics? That's what I don't understand. What harm could it do?

It shouldn't be the user, it should be the user's posts that would be thumbed up. Reason being, that user could only vote once, and only for that one person. It should be only one time for every post, to show that the current post had some meaning in it.

The statistics can be in the user's profile, under the merit points:

Merits: 2
-----------------------
Thumbed up comments: 45
Thumbed down comments: 7

Of course, this is all just for decoration; there will be no AP gain, and all it would do is show how good/bad a user is with comments. As an added feature, it could show on the comment how many users voted it up and how many users voted it down. It wouldn't show on the users' profiles what comments got how many, that will be for the person to figure out which one of his/her comments are good and which are terrible.

howlett
howlett
2,278 posts
Nomad

Thats a good idea Shinetsu so like you could vote up or vote down their forum post or comment but no AP for it I like that.

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

I've always disliked a vote idea. There's always someone who will hold a grudge for a very long time, say many years and vote down every single comment a certain person makes even with a vote limit. Might even create multiple accounts to harass the user by voting them down. Why? It would be more anonymous and it's not a like a direct attack in the victims comment box or a thread made about the user. I've seen it happen, and it's rather sad on either end. (Yes, years.) There's a stigma to having a low approval rating. There's always potential for abuse, especially in a forum community.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Rating is the same as well; as long as users get to post something, they will post whatever they feel like. And this one will not have a 30 second limit, this is only one vote per post. In essence, one vote down isn't that terrible, actually most users would just shrug off the voting, because they feel it is average, not needing any voting. I say let's do it and see where it takes us. This is one of the best ideas this month; it actually got me to do some thinking =)

Gantic
Gantic
11,892 posts
King

Building on my previous post, let's just say that there was a massive (site-wide) flame war on a certain site four or five years ago in a war of personalities and trolls (in a section of the site that is not too different from the World Events, Politics, Religion, Etc. forum). Users on either side racked up at least 5 down votes per post in a community no bigger than this one and approval ratings dropping by at least 5 - 10% to the high-50's - mid-70's from the high-70's - low-90's. Of course there was an unrelated massive exodus of the same people when a change in the rules and management occurred, but there was also troll war between liberals and conservatives in between then, so that site might not be a good example or perhaps it's rather pertinent.

Just think what would or could happen in the World Events, Politics, Religion, Etc. forum.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

Gantic wins. XD

Yeah, me being a regular over in that forum, I could see that happening. But at least this was a good brain storming to see if anything could be worked out. =)

Showing 1-11 of 11