ForumsSupport ForumA Double Points Day?

50 6134
ledmonds
ledmonds
382 posts
Nomad

I was wondering if there was a chance that on the odd occasion that AG could have a Double Points Day I think this would encourage more and more people to log onto the site and try to rank up. Maybe it could be on special days such as: christmas, new year, valentines day, halloween and so on.

• 50 Replies
Drace
Drace
3,880 posts
Nomad

I'm thinking it will only lead to spam.

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

It would indeed encourage people to log in and rank up - but the problem is, why would we want people to be encouraged to try to rank up faster?
The biggest concern with this, would be that a tidal wave of users would post as much as possible to earn the points even faster when they come in twice the amount. Meaning, they'd put less effort in their posts and comments.
Another problem would be the coding - the math on the profile wouldn't add up.

AG already does something special on the special times of year - user created holiday themed armatars. Getting double the amount of AP on certain days wouldn't be a particularly good idea, sorry.

firetail_madness
firetail_madness
20,593 posts
Blacksmith

AP encourages activeness.

If there was a double AP day, then people would grab that chance to go and rate all the games, and such, thus leading to spam.

Maybe an appropriate section, like maybe the S & S section in the forums, could award double AP for a while. I highly doubt that's ever going to happen, but at least mods and admins would have a way of controlling the AP gain.

flappybob999
flappybob999
797 posts
Peasant

Oh, wow.

That would be sort of a spammer's paradise! Why would we encourage people to spam more? While Armor Points makes more people log on, it also makes some people log off, because spam is becoming more and more powerful O_O. Just like Obama. :/

Maybe a double merit point day? More merits is a good thing, since merits are the exact opposites of spam.

seven_11
seven_11
304 posts
Nomad

It would be cool so more people would log on but then the site would be slow

Bricks
Bricks
17 posts
Nomad

Also, if this day were to occur, the &quotoints to rank" would be messed up. Say that I have 300 AP, then I get 100 AP on Double Points day which equals to 200. I would then have 500 AP. Let's also say that I get all my points from comments, so I have 200 comments. On a regular day in AG, 200 comments would equal to 400 AP. If I have 500 AP, People might wonder where I got that extra AP. Do you get it?

Cholokid
Cholokid
1,667 posts
Shepherd

Maybe a double merit point day? More merits is a good thing, since merits are the exact opposites of spam.

I like that idea. Rather than encouraging people to spam for points, it would encourage them to play games, rate them, and give good reviews that would help the site.

Another problem would be the coding - the math on the profile wouldn't add up.

Zoph is right. With having to change some of the codes to the site there could potentially be danger of some lag and a down time.

As far as a special thing, there has become a tradition of users making armatars for the holiday, as Zoph has said. And as it has been said, having double points, there would be spam. Its not a bad idea, just there are some problems with it. Scripting is a hard thing to do, and the slightest flaw could be vital.
woody_7007
woody_7007
2,662 posts
Peasant

Double points day? Hm more like double spam day. If AP are meant to be unimportant then why do you want a double points day anyway. It wouldnt affect anything as everyone would go up at the same rate so your rank wouldn't change. The only thing that would happen is that you could upgrade faster eg wood to silver, but who really cares about that eh?

kell84
kell84
241 posts
Nomad

Yeah, there would probably spam and AG isn't about POINTS! AG is a place to talk to friends, have fun playing games, and do stuff. So I don't think this is a good idea.

~kell84~

Binary_Illusion
Binary_Illusion
300 posts
Jester

Well as everyone before me has said. Yes it would get people to log on, but they would post A LOT, and not put a lot of effort into they're posts, and comments because I mean it's double points day. ... I have to get as many points as possible right? wrong points aren't everything. This site apposed to be fun, and not just about AP.

So in short it's not a good idea because it will encourage spam.

stonester
stonester
120 posts
Nomad

hey i think thats pretty dum because who needs um any way ya you do to pass ranks thats important to me. but i wanna earn them!

Zophia
Zophia
9,435 posts
Scribe

woody. Not silver. Iron. Shun. :P
Now on topic again...

The 'double merits day' idea is far better, but I still don't think it makes fair sense. We give out merits when we randomly find them in game comments, so even if you made the best review ever on such a day, it's not sure that it would be found. So the rewards would be very random, and some people would probably be upset if their comment didn't get it that day.

Also, I'm starting to see this topic turn into repetitions of what have already been said...

Xcalibur45
Xcalibur45
1,830 posts
Farmer

the Double point day would lead to so much Spam, but a Double Merit day would encourage Users to give Game creators alot of feedback. But it must be merit worthy, alot of comments that are Merit Worthy take alot of time to put in your own words so we will know who is enforcing Plagiarism.

ShintetsuWA
ShintetsuWA
3,176 posts
Nomad

The way I see it with this "Double Merit Day", it would have to be over a range of time, like around a week or so. This encourages users to create a great review, and mods would be sent to patrol the games to locate those merits. These merit standards would be like "only games higher than 8.0/10" so the amount of games to look for to be more specific than 1000+ games. That would be too much work for the mods. Since it is a merit day, the review standards would be higher by a smidgen, to make sure users give their best efforts in making one. Once the time has ended, it would go back to a regular merit value.

bubbasmith08
bubbasmith08
1 posts
Nomad

it will most likely lead to virus

Showing 1-15 of 50